Chapter 85: Fire and Water

Začít od začátku

So divisions were made, prisoners were released and the armies put down their weapons and picked up their chisels. It was time to rebuild the broken remains of Heq-At.

During the rebuilding of the city, Sabaf and Nitocris celebrated their wedding. Though it had been a quiet somber affair in the midst of broken shattered stone, it was the spark of happiness that gave the inhabitants life.

Soon Sabra found herself on a barge leaving the Heq-At, the journey to the royal palace took two days. Before long she found her way to the Palace. She had been waiting for this moment, to see them all again. The royal family had in a strange way had become her family. Thoughts of Ahkmenrah filled her with a sort of giddiness she never knew she was capable of. It brought a smile to her lips.

But she didn't see him, only a somber Montu and a silent Shepseheret who held a newborn in her arms. They seemed happy enough to see her and greeted her with embraces, though there was a stillness in the air and a sadness in their smiles.

"The little prince I gather," She asked gesturing to the baby.

"This is Ramses." Said Shepseheret. "I fear his birth is surrounded by much tragedy."

"Ismara?"

"I'm afraid yes...her funeral has been held."

Sabra remembered the brave young woman who had freed the women of Egypt from the depraved beds of the Sumerians. The woman who had despite being heavily pregnant spied on the Sumerians to give them information. The woman who had shot an arrow to save her husband. Yet she had never been a warrior. In her own way, Sabra had grown to love Ismara.

Ramses regarded her languidly. Shepseheret gave her a sad smile and offered her the child. Sabra took Ramses in her arms. She'd forgotten the feeling of a baby in her arms. It had been so long. She kissed his forehead before handing him back to Shepseheret.

"Where is Ahk?"

Shepseheret was silent. Montu looked at her gravely.

"He has locked himself up in his room and is drinking himself senseless." He said. "He's gone mad. You can hear shrieks coming from his rooms, sometimes laughter, often he sobs. We do not know. But Kahmunrah has not been seen for days."

"I must see him..."

"I wouldn't advise it..." suggested Montu.

"As commander-in-chief and guardian of Egypt, I must keep my country safe. That includes the life of my King."

My King. How those words sent chills down her spine.

"Very well, but you won't be able to open it. He has the only key."

"If he won't answer." Said Sabra. "I have my sword."

She made her way up the stairs to the room she had once guarded.

—————————

When the light faded Kahmunrah saw he was walking down a gilded hallway with Anubis holding his arms.

"This is the Hall of Two Truths." Explained Anubis.

Kahmunrah looked around. The hall was of the like he had never seen before. On one side you had black Onyx columns lined with pure gold and on the other side pure gold columns lined with Onyx.

"You brought me here against the will of the gods." Said Kahmunrah. "My body was not supposed to have been found."

"It was found." Explained Anubis. "By a woman named Kiya who lost her sons in the battle against Sargon. She buried you with her sons."