Part 4

I quickly jumped up and smoothed out my clothes looking down at the asphalt.

"No thanks I'm good" I said to him in an embarrassed voice.

He chuckled silently making eye contact with me the whole time. It would have been creepy if it were anyone else but the sparkle in his eye and wide smile made him seem so genuine.

I began to look around and noticed that the campus was huge.

I almost forgot he was there when I heard someone clear their throat and say "Hi I'm Jamie, are you new around here?"

Startled, I quickly said "Yeah I just moved here" in a suspicious voice.

"How did you know I was new" I inquired.

"Well based on the stunned look on your face from our campus, it was just a guess" he said.

"Oh, well yes I'm new, my name is Jessica" I said.

"I'm Jamie" he said shooting me a bright smile.

I laughed and said "I know you already told me."

"Oh yeah! Hey do you want me to show you around?" He asks.

"That would be really helpful thanks." I answer.

"Do you have your schedule yet?"

"Uh no" I say looking down again.

"Hey it's okay. We can just go to the principals office first" Jamie says reassuringly.

"Just follow me" he says and begins walking toward the entrance of the school.

I do as instructed and match my stride with his, while still looking around.

I probably looked like a lost puppy looking for her owner I thought.

After walking in Jamie directs me to the principals office and we both sit down to wait for her to call us in.

Around ten minutes later we're the last people waiting to be called on and then I hear someone shout "NEXT."

"Guess that's our cue" I say to Jamie before standing up.

We both walk in and before I can say a word the principal says "Who are you?" in a stern voice.

"Um I'm Jessica Green. I just transferred here from New York" I answer, cheeks blazing.

"Oh I'm sorry" she says kindly.

"I've just been under so much stress... Anyways, what can I do for you?" She continues.

I squint to read the name tag on her desk and discover that it says Mrs. Compton.

"Mrs. Compton, I was wondering if you could print me my schedule please" I say politely.

"No problem honey" she says then switches her gaze toward Jamie.

"And what can I do for you Mr. Banks?" She asks in a strained voice.

So I guess Jamie's last name is Banks.

"Oh I'm just here to help Jessica learn where all her classes are" he says innocently.

"That is very nice of you. Thank you for acting as a good citizen" she says in a happy voice.

She then turns to her computer and starts typing vigorously.

Three minutes later Jamie and I are on our way with my schedule in hand.

While I'm not looking he snatches my schedule out of my hands and starts to read the list of classes.

"Looks like you have AP English first period" he says then starts taking off down another hall.

We finally arrive at a door and he says "Here it is. I heard the teacher is really nice" he says encouragingly.

"I'll meet you back here after class, okay?" He asks while walking backward down the hallway we came from.

"Okay. Thanks" I say while waving as he disappeared around a corner.

Okay deep breaths Jessica, you can do this, you can definitely do it! I think while twisting the handle and walking into the classroom.