Give it a Chance Ch. 6

Give it a Chance, a SonAmy Story

Chapter 6

Absolutely Romantic

Of course.

If there had been one day, just one day, that Sonic would turn down a chance to fight Eggman, it'd be this one. Oh yes, this hedgehog had much more planned for the evening than just a tussle with his arch-nemesis. But as it was, the doctor was up to his old schemes, and it was up to Sonic, as always, to stop him.

He knew Amy would be upset. Sonic was upset, too. He'd been looking forward to this day all week, nervously. He'd also been rehearsing exactly how it was going to go, how he was going to tell Amy, everything. But this was putting a loop in his plans. Ah well, he'd just have to improvise. Fine; thinking on his feet was one of Sonic's strengths anyway. All he could hope was that this battle wouldn't take too long.

Sonic was greeted by Amy's cheerful smile upon arrival at her house.

"Hi Sonic," Amy said but frowned upon seeing his expression.

"Amy I'm sorry, but we can't go out right now," he informed her gloomily.

Amy's eyes got big and her face fell. "Why not?"

"A certain fat doctor has decided that I can't have a love life. It can't wait, Ames. I'm sorry."

Her heart sank. She had been looking forward to this all week. Maybe Sonic didn't define her anymore, but he was still a big part of her life.

"It's okay," the pink hedgehog said and managed a half-smile.

"I'll make it up to you, though," Sonic said. "I promise."

Now this made her feel slightly better. Sonic never backed out of a promise.

"But until then..." Sonic suddenly grinned and produced a red rose, offering it to Amy.

She gasped. "For me?"

"Who else?"

Amy took it wordlessly, her eyes wide as their fingers brushed during the transfer.

"I'll see ya later, Amy," Sonic said and with a wink, was gone.

Ok, this definitely meant something. A red rose. Amy studied each of the petals, taking in the shocking deep redness of them, and then clutched the flower to her chest and let out one of the loudest squeals she'd let loose in a while.

Sonic had given her a flower. A rose. A red rose. Even Sonic had to know what a red rose meant. There was just no mistaking it.

Still in awe and with a dumb smile on her face, Amy went back into her house, still staring at the rose, wanting to memorize every petal. That's when the giggling began. It continued as Amy skipped all the way to her closet, searching for a vase to put it in. This rose would replace the one he'd given her so long ago. Amy had kept the stem of that one right next to her bed until it had withered away to nothing. But now Sonic had given her a brand new one, deep red this time. To hold her over until he could make up the date to her.

That's when it hit her like her Piko Piko Hammer.

She should have gone with him. Oh, jeez, Sonic was out risking his life against Eggman at this very moment, and she had stayed home. Normally, Amy would have followed him without a second thought, but he'd given her the rose, and it had distracted her.

Ah, that was it, wasn't it? He'd given her the flower to tell her to stay here. It was almost like he wanted her to not come with him. Like he wanted to protect her. Sonic had been trying to say, "I care about you. Stay here. I'll be back."