Give it a Chance Ch. 1

Give it a Chance, A SonAmy Story

Chapter 1

Introduction: Amy's Birthday

Amy Rose sat hunched over her desk, biting her tongue, and tapping her favorite pink pen on her notebook as she looked back over her checklist. It looked like everything was going according to plan: soon all of her friends would be over to celebrate her 13th birthday. It was weird to think that just yesterday, she'd been 12, and today, she was 13. Growing up was a gradual thing, yet it was celebrated as if it was an overnight transformation. She really didn't feel any older, and it wasn't likely she would be treated any different, either.

Amy exchanged papers and sighed at seeing the name at the very top of her guestlist. Thoughts of what Sonic would get her had dominated her daydreams all week, ranging from him professing his love and kissing her to him forgetting to come altogether or being a wet blanket throughout the party.

Sonic was as unpredictable as a box of chocolates - you never knew what you were going to get from him.

Lately, though, he'd been acting strange. Even for Sonic. Amy couldn't quite put her finger on it, but it was like he was more...thoughtful, maybe? She'd asked Tails, but he claimed he hadn't noticed anything. Neither had Knuckles. Typical guys.

Amy moved her eyes down the list. Of course Cream and Cheese would come. As would Tails, Rouge, and Knuckles. But Sonic? He was the obstinate one, wasn't he? And he had to be the one she had this humongous crush on. Of course. Love was never easy.

Amy straightened herself out and stretched a little, trying to get her mind off of him. She wasn't going to dwell on her rocky relationship with Sonic today. It was her birthday, after all, and she wasn't going to let some cocky, arrogant, selfish hedgehog ruin it.

She snuck a glance at the clock. Her party was supposed to start at 1 o'clock, and right now it was 5 til. They'd be here any moment.

Sure enough, she watched as Tails and Cream came, separately, yet they somehow ended up sitting together on the couch. Amy was happy for them, as they seemed made for each other, but she couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy at seeing them together. Tails and Cream's feelings for each other were so obvious, yet they were too shy to ever admit it.

Shyness. It was something Amy could never understand; if you liked someone, she figured you had to step up and let them know. Yet, shyness had always been what she'd told herself about Sonic, that the reason he never admitted that he loved her was because he was too shy.

But really, who was she fooling? Sonic, shy? It was almost laughable to think someone as cool and self-confident as Sonic would be shy or afraid of anything. No, there must be some other reason.

He just doesn't like you like that, Amy...

No, it couldn't be true. She saw how he looked at her sometimes, when he thought she wasn't looking. For only a second or two, she could detect some sort of tenderness in his eyes...but only for a second.

Yes, Sonic really did care for her. He just...just...

So much for not thinking about Sonic today, Amy thought wryly.

Knuckles and Rouge came next, joking and teasing her about finally becoming a teenager. Amy joked right back, accepting their gifts and taking a solitary seat as the couple took her other loveseat.

Yes, all of her friends were paired up except for her. She was the only one sitting alone. On her birthday.

Amy, stop it!