Chapter 2: The lost pup

Start from the beginning

She was asking important questions, something children are very good at. They lose this capacity when they become adult, focusing on irrelevant things such as money or social status.

"In what animal do you want to be recarnated, sir?"

"You mean reincarnated?"

"That's what I said, renicarnated" she pouted.

"Mmmh... maybe in a ladybird."

If she thought it was a weird choice for such a big wolf, she didn't show it, but rather gave him another one of her soft, lively smile that seem to have the power to ease his worries. 

"I like ladybirds."

"Me too. It feels like a blessing when this bright little creature lands on you out of nowhere."

It was easy talking to her. He didn't consider himself as a talkative person - not anymore, at least, but now, he found himself almost unable to stop chatting. 

They eventually arrived at the river. Guessing she was not a good swimmer yet, he put her on his shoulders and she started laughing and nuzzling his ears with delight. 

"Can you come with me, sir? I want you to meet mum and dad"

"What did you call me?  And no,  I don't think that's a fantastic idea"

"Sorry for calling you 'sir', sir, but I don't know your name". she said with a sheepish expression.

"Alright. My name is Casper".

She burst into laughter "You're lying". She wiped the tears off her eyes then looked at him with a more serious expression: "That's alright, you don't have to tell me. I will call you Marshmallow". 

"What the f... sorry, what?"

"Yes, because you look dangerous but I know you are a big softie. That's just because you don't want people to know how sad you are. My mum told me the same thing about dad". 

"Listen, Milena-"

"Or maybe I'll call you ladybird. That's a good name for you, too."

Kyle looked at her for a while, then said with a slightly quivering voice:

"My name is Kyle".

"Nice to meet you, Kyle." she said, bowing slightly. "Did you know Casper is a ghost from a cartoon for children?"

"Oh, really? "

"Don't lie to me, Kyle", she ordered, all confident and bossy now. 

"Okay, you're right, I knew it".

She nodded gravely, then gave him a quick hug and said with her singing voice:

"Don't worry. Someone will see you soon. Everything is gonna be different. That's what mummy keeps telling me when I don't want to go to school, because nobody likes me there. 

"I am sure it is not true. You're way too nice and smart not to be liked by everyone".

She shrugged her shoulders but looked a bit flustered by the compliment.

"What about you, Kyle?" the relentless child inquired. "Do you have friends at your school?"

"Well, I don't go to school anymore"

"Wow, you've finished school?" she whistled. "I guess you are old, then. Could it be that you are older than fifteen?"

She looked at him with wide eyes and Kyle didn't know if he should find it funny or tremble at the prospect that, according to her, he already had a foot in the grave.

 "...but no, I don't have any friends" he concluded, remembering her original question. 

I used to, though, he added to himself. 

She nodded sadly but then gave him a bright smile and said happily "But today, you and I made a new friend. I will always be your friend, marshmallow!"

With that, she started running through the woods and towards her pack. Suddenly, he realized he did not ask her how comes she had ended up all alone in a small cave, so far from her home. 

Okay, he thought. It was a nice escape from reality. Good luck, Milena. I hope you can give a hard time to the little fuckers in your school.

Now, time to go back for training with the others. Oh, joy. 

A/N: no big changes here but it's longer than the OV (original version), the dialogues in particular.

Also, a big THANK YOU for your enthusiasm regarding the first chapter of this edited version. You are my source of motivation <3