The Good Book (Anna)

Comenzar desde el principio

“Don’t worry,” he smiles.  “I get it.”

Now it’s my turn to be sheepish.  The blush that crosses my face is most likely even deeper than the color of my hair.  An awkward giggle escapes my mouth.  It’s the kind that makes you want to slap yourself continually for even letting it out.  Warren doesn’t seem to notice, and instead continues our previous conversation.  About half an hour into first period, a question forms in my mind.

We are talking about how 1984 by George Orwell is a prime example of how humans so easily go with the flow on anything that sounds good when I cut Warren off mid-sentence.  I feel bad about cutting into what he has to say, but I feel like this a really important question.

“Can I ask you a question?”

“Yeah, sure.  Anything, Eyes,” Warren replies, a little bewildered.

“Why do you call me ‘Eyes?’  I mean, yesterday when you were giving me my worksheet you called me that.  And today you’ve referred to me as ‘Eyes’ a lot.  I was just wondering why.”

To my surprise, Warren starts laughing.

“D-did I say something funny?”  I ask, my cheeks burning with embarrassment.

“No,” he breathes.  “It’s just… I thought… Hold on.”  I nod and watch as Warren takes a moment to calm down.  “It’s just; I figured that would be pretty obvious, Eyes.”

“And why is that?”  I ask, feeling a bit like he’s making fun of me.

He points to my eyes.  “Because of your eyes, silly!”

“Oh,” I mumble, suddenly ultra-aware of everything and über self-conscious.  “What’s wrong with them?”  Jordan and I have both gotten a lot of comments about our eyes since we came to live with our parents.  We’ve mostly gotten used to it, but sometimes words can sting.  Even if they aren’t meant to.  Jordan likes to be in the spotlight, so she really doesn’t mind – she actually enjoys the attention.  I, on the other hand, am a girl who likes to stay in the background, and every single comment about my eyes reminds me how different I am.  I know most people would love to have my eyes, but I don’t.  Not at all.

He laughs again.  “Nothing, Eyes.  They’re just special.  You know, because they’re different colors?”

“Oh, right.”  My cheek continue burning up.

“So why are they different colors?”  He asks sincerely.

“I have complete heterochromia,” I say laconically.

“That’s when both irises are different colors, right?”  I nod.  Warren leans back and whistles.  Man, he sure makes a lot of noise for being in a library.  “That’s wicked, Eyes.  I wish I had that.  I got stuck with boring gray.”

“I think they look good on you,” I mumble.  “I mean, it’s not usual for someone of your-” I try to think of a way for my next words not to seem racist.  Luckily for me, Warren helps me out.

“My ethnicity?”  He laughs.  “It’s ok, you can say it.  I don’t get offended.”  The blush on my cheek s must definitely trump all blushes ever to grace a face.  “And I get what you mean about it unusual and all… But my thing is: why gray?  Why couldn’t blue eyes?”  He accentuates his words with goofy movements, leaving me no choice but to laugh hysterically.  Warren soon joins in in the merriment, and it’s not long before a librarian comes over and tells us to hush up.  We both close our mouths, but continue to laugh a hilarious silent laugh.

Warren and I spend the rest of our free period chatting about random academic things.  Basically all the things that Jordan would get bored of listening to after my first sentence.  I have to say: it’s refreshing being able to talk “smart” with someone who actually understands and cares about my opinion, and even has some opinions of their own.

All too soon, the bell rings, signaling the end of first period.  I take up all of my stuff and put it into my backpack.  Warren does pretty much the same.

“So where you of to now, Eyes?”

“Mrs. Burns,” I answer easily.

“Me too!  You know, I knew I’d seen you around,” he smiles.  “Do you have to walk to your locker or anything?”

“Nope.”

“Then let me walk you!”

“Oh… Umm you don’t have to do that.”

“Don’t be silly!  We’re going to the same class.  I mean, it’d almost be a crime not to walk together.”  I look into his big, stormy eyes, and I know that, even if I wanted to, I couldn’t say no to him.

“Alright,” I smile.

“Yes!”  He fist pumps the air, and one of the librarians shushes him.  “I apologize,” he says to her before turning back to me.  “Shall we walk?”

“Yes we shall,” I laugh.

I’m so going to win this.

_____________

So who do you guys think will win??  I personally have my money on Jay... But then again, I know what's going to happen.  I'm also a tricky little girl who likes to fool with minds... I wouldn't trust me if I were you<3

So you know what to doooo

Fan|Vote|Comment|Share

And DFTB<3