Chapter 1

"You did WHAT?" Kay didn't mean to yell, but how could her parents send her off to some random school in the middle of nowhere without even telling her?

"Kay, we know you're upset, but we think it's for your own good." Her mother assured her.

"I went to Morissa's Mutant Academy when I was your age." Her father said. Easy for him to say. Both of his parents were werewolves, so they knew from the get-go where to enroll him.

"But... what about my friends here?" Kay lied. She didn't have any close friends, more like distant acquaintances whom she spoke with briefly in between classes.

"Don't worry, there are plenty of vacations, you can visit them then." Clarissa Brummer suggested.

Kay's mother met her father a few years after they both graduated college. Sure, Clarissa Brummer was surprised that Edward Brummer was a werewolf, but to her it didn't really matter. 

Clarissa was one of those people who only cared about what a person's personality was like. They could be a rock and she'd still give it a chance.

Kay had inherited her mother's green eyes, and her father's red hair. And Kay had one more thing from her father; she was a werewolf.

Being a werewolf meant different rules. She couldn't really have anyone over, another part of not having many friends. Don't get to attached to anyone, because they might figure something out and have any memory of the family extracted from their minds with magic.

Kay was a quiet person. She learned she had to be if she wanted to continue going to a regular school. But apparently, a few months before, her parents had enrolled her in some school for freaks.

You can imagine how Kay might be upset about that. She didn't want to leave her home to be shipped from New Mexico to Maine. It made her mad that she had no say in what was happening. But what was done was done.

"Please, don't make me go." Kay pleaded. 

"I'm sorry, but we just don't think that public school is a good fit for you anymore." Her mother said.

"And think of what other people you could meet there! I made many friends who were just like me when I went." He father added.

Kay was mad, and she could feel her ears start to grow fur and lengthen. Fuming, she took a deep breath and left the room before she turned into a full wolf.

Sitting cross-legged on her bed, she stared malevolently at the three packed trunks sitting on the other side of her room. That day she had returned from school to find her closet empty, everything packed into three suitcases, and her parents talking worriedly in the kitchen.

The half-moon started to shine through her window, and her stomach started to growl. When she left the kitchen, Kay forgot about eating dinner.

That's okay. She thought, swinging onto the floor and fishing out a bag of pretzels from underneath her bed.

She searched online for another hour to see if she could find anything about Morissa's Mutant Academy, but since it was highly classified, Kay gave up her search and tried to go to sleep.

Sure, a school full of people like herself would be cool, and she could make many friends there... but what if they didn't like her? What if she hated the person she had to share a room with? By the time she fell asleep, she had come up with quite the pros and cons list of why she should and shouldn't go.