36. The Art of Escape

Start from the beginning

King Rhett knew not if you believe him or not. His visit was sudden and could mean just about anything. "Why the sudden change of heart? I thought Arilikook wasn't fond of joining hands with other Kingdoms." 

Rhys chuckled, "It's time we change our old ways don't you think. We've already joined with Peruel, we're thinking of going with Laqum and Seridina next."

It was visible the hate the moment Rhys mentioned Peruel. He never expected for them to have connections with such a lowly place. Rhys of course had noticed it, it wasn't anything he hadn't already know. "I heard your son was getting married to a Princess from Laqum, you have my congratulations or rather the crown Prince."

Anger was becoming the only emotion King Rhett was feeling these last few days. Rhys was taunting him, not enough to have him in a fit and demand his exit. He also did the job of feigning ignorance. "Unfortunately, the marriage is cancelled." He didn't try hiding his disgust.

"Is that so," Rhys wore his best shocked expression. "I do hope it was for good reasons."

"About the treaty," King Rhett changed the topic, not wanting to discuss the scheme that his son had thrown in his face. "Why didn't King Ezekiel come himself?"

"Is my presence not enough to convince you." Rhys said jokily. "My brother has a quest of his own. We'll be sure to send you and your son invitations to his wedding, maybe even my own." Rhys couldn't believe his own words, he wasn't even thinking about marriage until now.

"If that's all, then you may leave. As for the treaty, I'll think about it and surely our next meeting will entail more information."

Rhys cursed under his breath as he thought of another way to stay. "Before I leave, I would like to have a little sparing match you. That is if you don't mind." Rhys stood to his feet. "Or maybe that was rather rude of me, forgetting you were getting quite old. I wouldn't like for you to break a bone or two."

The King fell for his taunting, not forgiving Rhys for saying such things about him as he bolted to his feet. "I'll have Commander Amir get things ready."

In a matter of minutes Rhys and Rhett were outside, Commander Amir wondering how things had escalated to this point. Rhys would quite enjoying the current situation, the expression on the King was prize worthy. They took their stance, the Commander raising his hand to commence the spar, "I'm nothing but an amateur, go easy on me." Rhys had said.

At the fall of the commander's hand, Rhett was the first to strike. It was his way of getting back at Rhys in a least obvious manner-- though, he couldn't be more obvious to Rhys -- for what he did. Rhys was placed on the defense, being pushed back by the King's brute force. King Rhett was even growing more angry, the calm expression that Rhys wore as if he could win the King had him on edge. Addition to his rebellious son and the wretched Fifteens, Rhett was a walking ball of flames.

Amir watched the exchange from the side, wondering if something had happened between the two. He hadn't seen the King this worked up before. Rhys thought it was time he started taking things seriously, thinking he had bought enough time at it is. Amir was beyond shock as he almost rushed out onto the grounds but remained in his spot. He would've rubbed his eyes to see if he had seen thinks clearly. Kind Rhett sat swordless on the ground. Not only did Rhys use his sword, he made use of his legs.

Prince Rhys set his sword to the side, crouching near the man who was flaming with anger. "And just like that you will fall." He said, low enough to be heard between the two. "A fight is not about brute strength, you have to utilize your mind, put together a strategy and put your skills to work. It won't be long before you fall." Rhys chuckled. "Well, I guess you've already fallen."

"I won't do anything further, I don't think he would like that." Rhys continued. "Either way," he glanced towards Amir. "I don't think I'll be able to leave so easily. If you dare do anything to him again, I won't be so forgiving." Rhys once again couldn't believe his own words, he was saying and doing things out of his character.

"Are you threatening me?" Rhett said through gritted teeth.

"You shouldn't embarrass yourself any further King Rhett." Rhys spoke as he walked away from the man.

🖤

Cormac slipped into the servant quarters, moving quick on his legs to get to King Rhett's chambers. He knew not how much time Prince Rhys could buy him, getting in and getting out quickly was making him feel beyond nervous. With the thought of things not going as planned and Iker being caught again, he couldn't help his sweaty palms and beating heart.

"Where have you been?" Dash had grabbed Iker by the arm before he could get to the stairs that led to the King's chamber.

"I'm in a bit of a hurry Dash, can we discuss this later." It wasn't a question since Iker was back on his feet and climbing the stairs. Dash wasn't giving up so easily as he followed behind Iker.

"Why are you going into the King's chambers?" Dash said with much shock as Iker barged into the room. Iker rushed back over to Dash, shushing him as he pulled him inside and closed the door behind them.

"The Prince is inside there." He pointed at the wall, Dash was all the more confused. Iker sighed and explained briefly to Dash. "Help me find the key." Iker knew that if Cormac was down there he would likely be chained as he was or locked in the cell like the man was. Either way they needed a key.

"Found it!" Dash exclaimed as he waved the key around. Iker let out a breath of relief, proceeding to opening the secret passage. It took some time until he found it.

Dash stood there shocked. He had noticed the Prince lack of presence and though he and Iker had visited Laqum again. To think he was locked away all this time. Iker told Dash to be on the look out as he quickly descended the stairs.

Cormac yanked at his chain yet again. Malachi looked at his fruitless action, knowing that they were both left to rot away there. Cormac sighed heavily, his throat dry and his body feeling weak. "Do you hear that?" He had asked. Malachi shook his head as he looked away from the boy. Was he already becoming delusional? "Don't you hear it, like talking and footsteps?"

Malachi allowed the silence to pass as he listened. He indeed heard a series of footsteps. Malachi grabbed ahold of the bars and stood, "it might just be the King." Malachi wasn't going to be hopeful.

The footsteps got closing along with the huffing of breath and jingling of a key. The two stared in the direction, one more hopefully than the other. Iker reached the end of the stairs, out of breath but that didn't stop him.

"Iker!" Cormac said, thankful that his friend had found him. Iker could almost cry. Seeing that Cormac was okay and also because he was in such conditions. Iker rushed over to him and fumbled with the keys. It took longer than expected to find the right one. "Is Phoenix with you?" Cormac asked as he rubbed his wrist.

Iker shook his head, "he's back at Aperia waiting for us."

"Why is he at Aperia? What happened to Area Fifteen?"

Iker wanted to answer all his questions but getting out was far more important. He then found the key for the cell and let the man out. "I'll tell you everything once we're out of  here." Iker finally said. "Prince Rhys can only buy so much time."

Cormac was all the more confused. Malachi had known the name, though, he didn't know why he was here. No one hesitated as they made way out, Iker helping to bring the man along. He had got Cormac back, now it was time for them to find Rhys and escape with their heads.

🖤