Chapter Eleven

Ben’s voice reached her ears making Kyra look at the television. He stood in front of the courthouse, dressed in a suit. His hair was falling towards his eyes, and she could tell he had gotten it cut. She picked up the remote, turning the volume up so she could hear him better.

“Is it really over, Detective?” A man’s voice asked.

“Yes, Diego Martinez no longer has any control in this town.” Ben answered.

“What about all the other unsolved murders he was accused of?” Someone asked.

“I don’t have a comment on those,” Ben returned.

Kyra looked away from the screen, but continued to listen. It hurt too bad to see his face, even though she was going to before long.

“Is it true you’re going on live national television?”

“Detective Wilkerson and I both are. Watch and maybe you'll find out more information.”

“What about Kyra Baldwin?” A female asked. “Will she be there?”

Kyra looked back at the screen and into the brown eyes. She thought she saw some pain in them.

“I heard she might, but I don’t know for a fact,” Ben answered.

“What are her plans now that Martinez is gone? Is it true he had something to do with her parents’ deaths also?”

“That’s Miss Baldwin’s personal business, and I’m not going to answer for her,” Ben said.

“No one can get close enough to her to ask her any questions. Is she in protective custody?”

“All I’m going to say is I hope she now has some peace with what happened.”

“After spending a week on the run with her that’s all you have to say?”

He smiled the charming smile that seemed weak to her, “Anything else I may have to say would be to her, and that’s none of the media’s concern or business.”

Tears filled her eyes as the man walked away from the camera. It had been almost a month since it had ended, and they stopped running. She hadn’t seen or talked to him since then.

She had worked on putting her life back together. She moved back into her parents’ home where she had grown up, and had gotten her a new cell phone line. She cleaned out her brother’s house of all the things belonging to them, and was still trying to unpack everything into the house now. She had to go through everything, trying to decide what she was going to use and what she wasn’t.

She had given away of all the furniture in her childhood home, going and replacing it with new stuff that fit her and not them. The home still reminded her of her brother and parents. She had placed pictures of them all around the house. She never wanted to forget, but she knew she had to move on.

Later tonight, it would finally be the time to let her brother rest. They were having a small farewell to him at the pool hall, even though in the paper it said it was at the funeral parlor. She had already done it. She had sat in his house for hours, having a conversation with him. She had said good-bye to all of them, and it made her feel better.

They wouldn’t have wanted her to put her life on hold; they would want her to move on. To live, and that was what she was going to do.

Her brother’s home had been repaired, and she had given it to Tiffany. She turned the place into her home, and Tiff had come to terms with everything that had happened too. Her and Kyra called each other at least once a day.