Chapter Eight

Bryce

I had forgotten how annoying mortal traditions were.

Primping and prepping just to impress someone I didn't want to see was agitating.

If it wasn't for both of my sisters I wouldn't have even changed from my sampot and borrowed shirt, but Breia had told me it was impolite to keep things that weren't mine.

Which was true. I had planned to return her item when my sisters were finally home.

It had been quite a while since I had the need to entertain guest, mortals for that matter, and I was awkwardly out of practice. I wasn't really sure how to act around them.

Besides, I really didn't have the time for this mundane experience.

Brea still needed convincing and that couldn't happen if I needed to watch the turn of conversation. I needed to be able to speak freely.

This mortal Aubrey already held her suspicions and now Breia had invited her to investigate.

My mission wasn't to protect our secret from this mortal, it was to bring my sisters to their senses or risk dying a mortal death.

I wasn't sure about my sisters but I didn't want to die again. I was content to live out my existence in the safety of our home.

"Stop fretting over this." I saw my grimace in the mirror Brylee and I were standing in front of. Her hands fixed my collar but her gaze was locked on my face and I could tell she saw something cross my expression that didn't satisfy her.

Instead of voicing whatever it was, she began fiddling with the first few buttons on the shirt Breia had loaned me. She couldn't decide if she wanted one button undone or two, revealing my bare chest.

Finally, she settled on two and placed her hands on my breast with a sigh as she looked up at me.

"I can't remember the last times was so..."

"Nervous," I supplied and she nodded. "I mean. what could possibly go wrong? You'll be on your best behavior, right."

When I arched a dubious bow at her she let out a small chuckle and backed away from me.

"I cannot speak for Bria, but I will." She smiled and crossed her index finger over her heart.

"On my honor, Brother."

That gave me a bit of reassurance in the matter and I let go of the breath I'd been holding.

She looked me over once more and her smile widened. "I have to say, you look hot."

Again, I grimaced at her phrase. "You really need to come home. You're picking upon their bad habits a little too well."

She eyed me with amusement. "And how exactly did you learn so quickly?"

I shrugged, nonchalant. "I fell that way"

Unlike our other sister, she didn't question me or even seem concerned with my response. She was very naive sometimes and the fact it hadn't changed in all this time was... it concerned me.

Chimes began to sound throughout our room and we exchanged glances, hers far more ecstatic than I would have liked.

She bounced happily and left the room.

There was no doubt that my sister was both a people person and people pleaser, while I didn't care for company when we were alive.

It was a moment before I followed her out and it wasn't because I was nervous about the mortal girl. I was concerned about the two mortals and my two loosed lipped sisters.