Chapter 1: The Good Life

Start from the beginning

He rolled his eyes and planted a quick kiss on her lips. "Just do it please." He disappeared back into the crowd inside the tavern.

Eve chuckled to herself and made her way to the table that the other women had gone to. When she got there, she found a big group of them crowded into a massive booth. Next to Tyelko sat Iríssë, and beside her on the end Artanis. There also were Nelyo, Káno, Moryo, and Findo.

Empty glasses sat before them, except for Moryo's and Tyelko's who clearly drank the red wine that sat there already. At the sight of Eve and the two bottles of rose, Nelyo clapped happily. She rolled her eyes, setting the bottles down and standing before them in front of the booth.

"I see you found Finno," Nelyo joked. "We did not know you were coming tonight."

"Neither did I, but Nis found me and convinced me to come." Eve looked over at the woman critically.

Artanis rolled her eyes. "She was merely reading."

"Merely," Káno gasped, aghast, but then he laughed. "What was it that had your attention, Eve?"

"A collection of Elemmírë's poetry," she replied with a smiled at the man when he blushed slightly. "Speaking of her, how is she doing?"

"She is well," Káno replied, squirming in his seat. "That is, as of the last time we spoke."

"Which was not long ago," Nelyo added.

Kano glared at his older brother. "No. It was not."

Eve jumped with a gasp when she felt someone on her shoulder. She whipped her head to the side to see Finno leaning against her, his arm on her shoulder. The entire table laughed at her expression. She glared goodnaturedly at her beloved.

"You are a bit jumpy today, Elmendë," he laughed, removing his arm and placing a bottle of white wine on the table. "You may wish to speak to someone about that."

"You know what, Finno," she poked him on the nose. "You can just be quiet now."

With a snicker, he gestured for her to go ahead and scoot in beside Moryo. She did so, and he followed after her. Nelyo had poured drinks for each person, and he turned to Eve.

"What would you like tonight?" he asked her quickly.

She paused before nodding. "White."

He handed her a glass of white and nodded. "We're short a glass. You can share with Finno."

"Uh no." She shook her head. "I do not share drinks."

The entire table stared at her, but only Artanis had the nerve to say what they were all thinking. "You kiss him. What do you mean you will not share a glass of wine?"

Eve shrugged and shook her head. She folded her arms defiantly. "I. Do. Not. Share. Drinks. It's different. It's disgusting. I've never shared drinks and I won't ever share."

Finno broke down in laughter and shook his head. "I will go get another glass, then. Carry on." He slipped out of the wooden booth and headed back towards the main room. He dodged a few groups of elves, none of whom bothered to notice who he was.

"Where are Elenwë and Turvo?" asked Eve as she sipped on her glass of wine.

Findo shrugged, picking up his own glass of rose. "They couldn't be bothered to come."

"Enjoying married life," Irí said, rolling her eyes. "I hardly see much of my brother these days."

"It has been five years already," Eve laughed. "They need to get out more."