But I should let you go before someone comes in and finds me writing to you. I will meet you in my dreams.

I hope you decide we can run off together soon.

Para semipro, mi amour.

Forever yours,

Gabriela

“What?” Kyra asked aloud to the empty room. She didn’t know a Gabriela, never even heard him mention that name, and they were planning to run off together? This woman was pregnant with her brother’s baby? Why didn’t he tell her?

Her heart broke. Did Nicky actually feel like he couldn’t share that secret with her? She wouldn’t have ever told anyone.

“You know what, Ky?” Nicky flopped down on her bed with her. “You're the best sister ever.”

“Like you have a bunch to compare me too,” she laughed.

“But you are better than anyone. I can tell you anything.”

She had never told any of his secrets, now she had to. It could have something to do with his murder. Would someone really kill a man because of that?

They would. Nicky once wanted to kill someone for what they had done to her. Fortunately, he had never had the chance. The person had vanished.

She had to tell Ben about this. She looked over at the clock. It was almost four. They probably weren’t back yet. But what could she do?

She could go to Nicky’s work. She could ask around there if anyone knew a Gabriela, and if they knew about the relationship between her and Nicky. She stuck the letter back into the box, and picked it up as she stood, grabbing her purse.

She went back downstairs and out to her car. She pulled out of the hotel parking lot, heading to the plastics factory on the other side of the city. When she pulled into the half full parking lot, she had started to lose her nerve. What if it did have something to do with his murder? Was she going to put herself into danger by asking a couple simple questions?

“I am going to kill him!” Nicky punched the wall. “No more walking home. No more walking anywhere. I didn’t like it anyway. I can’t let anything happen to you.”

But if someone was going to have her brother’s baby, then she wanted to know. She wanted to be able to see her niece or nephew. If Nicky loved this person as much as it seemed, then she wanted to meet the lady who stole his heart.

She got out, walking to the office entrance. The receptionist smiled warmly at her.

“Miss Baldwin,” the brunette said, surprise in her dark eyes, “we’re so sorry about Nick. We heard this morning. Is there anything we can do? Do you need anything?”

“Thank you, Anna, but I’m managing so far.”

“I can’t imagine what you must be going through…. But what brings you here?”

“Actually, I found something and I have a question. You know everyone who works here, so I’ll ask you.”

“What’s that?”

“Do you know a Gabriela?” Kyra watched the woman’s face turn pale at the mention of the name.

“I only know one person by that name,” she leaned forward on the desk as she looked around. “And you really don’t want to ask many questions about her around here. It can get you hurt, but I didn’t tell you that.” The woman leaned back.