II

II

AMY

“I'm sorry, I'm sorry” I said as I rushed to my desk and noticed how Kayla stared at me. I mouthed to her once more how sorry I was.

“You know this is the third time this week you are late” She stated and returned her gaze at the computer. And this is the third time you've commented on it, I thought as I placed the coffee on my desk.

“Be thankful I'm even here and not stuck in some queue down at the coffee shop” I said irritated and turned on my computer. I noticed how Kayla wrote something down on a piece of paper. I would bet my paycheck she keeps an eye on my every move. Surely so she could have evidence enough one day when she wants me fired. I swear, that girl has some guts against me. I don't know what I've done to make her not like me. I remember my first week here at Denton Co. I had baked these gorgeous muffins to give to my new coworkers and Kayla's only comment was on how dry they tasted. I had gotten home and wept in Greg's arms all night, may he rot in hell.

I opened my mail and deleted some. My boss, Charles Denton, opened his door and noticed I was on my spot. His father was the one who founded Denton Co in the late forties. After he died his son took over.

“Amy, will you send me a copy of today's schedule” He said.

“Yes, sir” I said as I reached for the binder with today's files. I had worked at the Denton's for two years and still wasn't tired to be only the assistant. It gave me a monthly salary so I wasn't complaining. But still, it would be fun to apply for something else. It's not like I want to work as a secretary for the rest of my life. I grabbed my coffee and the schedule for mr Denton and headed to the copier. I pushed the button for the elevator and waited patiently for it to arrive. In the hall I noticed Olivia running in her high heels towards me.

“Hi” She said and tried to catch her breath.

“You know, you shouldn't run in high heels” I stated as the doors opened. Olivia followed me into the small space.

“I know, I know. But I have a date tonight and I won't have time to change between” She whined a bit as she shifted her weight. I chuckled and took a sip of my coffee. Olivia seemed to notice this.

“Please, let me have a sip” She begged me and I let her. I met Olivia at my second day here in the cafeteria. As usual I couldn't decide what to buy for lunch and Olivia came to give me advice on the food. And so it went. We became great friends and I wouldn't survive, especially Kayla, without her.

“That was tasty. Where did you buy it?” She asked as she handed back my coffee. That was when I remembered the kind gentlemen I met who offered to buy me one when my line wouldn't move.

“Down at the corner. Anyway, it was this nice man who bought it for me” I said with a glint in my eyes. Olivia's mouth fell opened and she grinned at me.

“Was he handsome?” She teased. I blushed and took another sip from my coffee. I didn't want to admit it at the time when I talked to him but he was absolutely handsome. And the way he offered to help me was cute. I still smile at my new memory. He was nothing like Greg and that I was glad for.

“It was nothing. And I will probably never see him again” I explained. I had reached my floor and walked out with Olivia close behind me.

“Fine, but I have something to cheer you up” She said and I turn to look at her while I let the copy machine do it's work.

“There's an opening as one of the assistant designers at my floor” Olivia squealed and I let my mouth fall. Olivia worked, like me, as an assistant to one of the designers in the same building. Pictures of a possible future flashed before my eyes and with all of its possibilities.