Unhappy Beginnings

(Sorry if it sucks. I've been out of the game for a while)

It was a typical day for our noble dragon hunters. They had taken care of two dragons for two different villages and got diddly squat to show for it! It left Gwizdo pretty ticked.

"I tell ya, Lian-Chu! It just isn't fair!" He huffed, kicking a rock off the edge of the island as he paced.

Usually for the work they did they would get more..but there were some destroyed houses and some ticked villagers...long story short they hardly got anything.

"I'm sick of workin' for peanuts! We work hard enough for more than this!" Gwizdo looked down at the small handful of gold in disgust. It wouldn't feed them for long and it certainly wouldn't make them rich.

"We did destroy some houses, Gwizdo." Lian-Chu tried to reason, sharpening his sword. They had tried their best after all..

Gwizdo sighed. Boy oh boy oh boy. Why was it always them?! They were always so unlucky when it came to anything! Casualties in villages, lost homes, loopholes in contracts! It always stopped them! Why, why, why?!

"Look, all I'm sayin' is that we deserve more respect for what we did! We did get rid of their dragon right? Right!" Gwizdo sat down, resting his head on his hands. He was sick of it!

Lian-Chu simply shook his head, glancing over at Hector who was busy gnawing on an old bone nearby. He didn't bother much with the money, he was in it to help people. Money was more of Gwizdo's problem..or obsession more like. It nearly got him killed sometimes. Lian-Chu simply didn't understand.

-Skip brought to you by my love for dragons-

Lian-Chu stretched as he climbed out of the St. George. It had been a long journey but they had finally made it to an inn where they could grab some food. Gwizdo, as always, left the work of unloading to Hector.

"Alright, boys! We pop in for a quick bite and then we're off for more contracts." Gwizdo looked toward the inn. As hungry as he was, his hunger for gold was strong today.

As the trio walked into the inn they could see if was pretty busy for a small village. They found a table for themselves and got down to ordering. A sudden nearby conversation caught Gwizdo's attention.

"That's right! It returns tomorrow! It is the anniversary after all and after something that unlucky it's no wonder a dragon would come back!" The man shook his head, leaning back in his seat

"Excuse me, fellows. But did I hear something about a dragon?" Gwizdo asked, walking over. This had 'contract' written all over it!

"Yes, my good sir, you did. Tomorrow is the anniversary of a terrible dragon attack that took place nearly thirty years ago! The beast returns each year to wreck havoc on the area." The man nodded, his face grim.

"But why would a dragon come back?" Lian-Chu asked as he walked over. It seemed strange and intriguing.

"I see you two don't know the tale. Take a seat, I'll explain it all." The man pulled up two extra chairs and Lian-Chu and Gwizdo took a seat.

"You see, thirty years ago or so, two kingdoms lived together in harmony and prospered. Things were well until a fortune-teller from a far off kingdom came and told a lady of one of the kingdoms that if the child she bore was born that the two kingdoms would be cursed with horrible luck. She predicted the fall of the kingdoms, poverty, death and ruin, even a terrible dragon attack. The neighboring kingdom begged the woman to give up her child, fearing they would fall to ruin, but the woman refused. A war soon broke out and the child was born. The two kingdoms fought instead of trying to prepare for the bad luck. The kingdoms faced disease and poverty. Families fell into ruin and shambles. The lady and her husband tried to keep the child away, to keep him secret. But the dragon attacked and the kingdoms, all except for the unlucky child, were completely destroyed. The dragon returns every anniversary to try to find the child and finally be at rest." The man pulled out a photo. "This was drawn up before the dragon came."