Chapter 4

PROPERTY AND COPYRIGHT OF FAYE TOWNSEND ©

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND GIVE ME THE JUICE TO WRITE MORE! IT REALLY HELPS! THANKS BROCHACHAS!

~Spartan City~

Kleio

The next morning I put my plan into action; I ate with Tydeus and his wife the night before and made plans to eat with them again the following night. His wife's hearty meals should fatten my stomach up before I make my journey across the desert to the nearest city which happened to be Persepolis, the grand city of thieves. I would have to make sure I take a little sharp metal to show them whose boss. I walked with fast pace through the still vandalised city ignoring the normal stares and mumbles my way. The city people had gotten used to my different looks but where still weary of me. They said that I was a bad omen form the Gods; they probably blamed this raid on me. Why, all because I had long blonde hair, lighter than any Spartans has ever been. We Spartans where known for our dark brooding looks but somehow I was different and I was treated like it, I felt like it. Most people didn't confront me because of my father's high intimidating position but that didn't mean I was welcomed with open arms. The cities people mostly kept to themselves apart from the few who could see past stupid superstition and who I was befriended to. I turned into the small shop which could be smelt from down the cobbled lane from the baking doe, I received pita bread and cut meat from the hanging cow and Stephidos, the baker, even cooked the meat for me so I could wrap it in cloth along with the pita. He didn't ask any questions and I didn't really want him too so I quickly handed him a coin that I found in my parents dresser and jogged down the lane towards the stream that ran into the city walls before filling a full bota bag.

The day moved slowly preparing me for my escape; I had dinner with Tydeus as I said I would and made pleasant unsuspicious conversation.

Tydeus told the same story he told every night and I nodded, pretending to listen.

"My Father gave me this sword when I was the age of 10 and 5 years, it may surprise you but I wasn't always this big and ox like. I was small and nimble. So to make sure I kept up with the other Spartan boys in training he had this sword made. Its light as a feather and thin, it goes through the air like Zeus' bolts" He waved it through the air with a proud smirk. "Impressive right?"

His wife just gave me an amused look, obviously having heard this story a million times or more.

Tydeus ranted on whiles swishing the sword. "It's the sharpest sword in Greece with its doctored metal; it's a weapon that even the Gods will be jealous of" He ran the edge lightly over the half eaten pig on the table and the skin was immediately cut open but he had barely moved at all. Now that was impressive. "But amazingly I was never cut by my own sword, even though I was a clumsy youth, I also-"

"Now dear, we should be letting our guest return home, it is getting late and you have guard duties" His wife said in a soothing voice, giving his shoulder a little rub.

"Oh yes, of course. Would you like me to walk you home before my watch?" He asked in a fatherly tone.

"No, that's not necessary. Thank you very much for a lovely meal" I told them sincerely. It would probably be the best meal I would have in a while.

I left their home with Tydeus and we parted ways, but my mind couldn't help remember how he put the sword right but the front door in a decorated clay pot in its holder. My mind keeps buzzing back to that sword and how valuable it would be to me. It may even be extremely valuable in a life or death situation, but poor Tydeus treated that sword like it was his child. I would not be able to carry a normal sword because they would slow me down with their weight and I would be slow at swinging them, I decided to go back and feel the swords weight. I'm sure Tydeus wouldn't mind if I borrowed it seeing as it was for a good cause.

Entering the house again, as slowly as I could, I reached into the pot to grip the sword handle pulling it up like I would any other sword. To my surprise the sword came away easily and it really was as light as a feather, it was incredible how light it was compared to the look of the sword. As I jerked the sword up it hit the edge of the pot causing it to fall over and smash into little pieces across their marble floor with a loud shatter. I cringed at the sudden silence that followed.

"Who's there?" His wife's voice echoes through the quiet. I was out the door and running with the holder tucked under my arm before she even came out of her room.

Breathing heavily I ran up the steps to my house, quickly gathering my things. It wouldn't be long before she realised the sword was missing and there probably weren't too many crazy people who were willing to steal a sword from a trained guard. Especially an ox like Tydeus. Soon they would be at my door so as quickly as I could I gathered my things into my satchel and made my way to the only part of the high wall that I could get over without being seen. And possible not die falling down the other side.

I was careful not to be seen as I made my way closer to escape. I looped the satchel handle over my head so it was secure on my shoulder; I had stocked it with a bota bag of water and slices of pita and meat which should last me at most a fortnight, also a sharpened blade, dried herbs, small rope with a hook and a few coins. I had to keep tightening the belt on my toga because strange feel of the sword holder on it was making me think it would fall down. With one last hitch up I scaled the wall that lead to the roofs of the houses which I silently sneaked across using the dead of night as my cover. Even though the guards where on full alert while our best warriors were away I was confident I could seek past them. Using the height of certain houses and my trusty rope hook I finally reached the top unseen. I felt fear tingle in my toes from being so high up with the risk of falling to my death. Quickly untangling the rope from the hook I put the rope back in my bad and took out the dagger. Trying not to think about it I shifted my weight over the side and let my legs dangle. Using all of my strength I trusted my dagger as far into the stones as I could making sure it was lodged I did the same with my hook slightly under. My feet found foot holes in the stone and I pulled out my dagger, only to plunge it back in again underneath the hook. And I slowly descended down the side of the wall carefully. A few times the rock crumbled and my foot slipped causing my heart to frantically beat in my chest. But finally my feet came in contact with rocky sand and I nearly cried out in relief.

I hadn't died yet. Now let's hope I can survive the miles of dusty rocky land.

The feeling of hope swirled in my stomach, I was going to see my family again and I was going to be the one who brought them home. No matter what it takes.

As the sky showed signs of first light, I made my way across the uneven land towards the direction where the sun set every night. I was going to go to Persepolis. And from there I would find safe passage into the belly of the beast. The Persian city where the man of evil tales sat in his golden thrown surrounded by guards like a coward. He had taken my family and I was going to enjoy killing him.