o n e

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙊𝙉𝙀—𝘢 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘦—

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙊𝙉𝙀
—𝘢 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘦—

𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙍𝙀𝙂𝙄𝙎𝙏𝙀𝙍𝙀𝘿 𝙉𝙐𝙍𝙎𝙀 pushes past the many others, her attention focused solely on the clipboard in her hands. Just this morning, she had come to work surnning on a single cup of coffee to find a letter from her boss. Evelyn tilts her head to the side at the sight of her new patient, swaying as Bryce passes her.

"I've been signed to Hawaii," Bryce tells Evelyn, placing her clipboard on the designated rack near the corner of the nursing room. "I have little to no information on the deal, but I leave tomorrow."

"I make number two," Evelyn gives her a soft grin. "I guess we'll be some of the few that actually get to go. After registering the boys for flight, we finally get to watch."

"You made their dreams come true, darling," Candice, the blonde head nurse, chimes from beside the two. "Of course you get to watch them fly. They're preparing for something soon, don't you think? Why else would we be recruited?"

Candice was an overextravagant person, to say the least. And she demanded perfection in every situation, which was hard to come by at most times. But here, in the workplace, it wasn't too surprising. Bryce was sure that Candice woke up extra early in the morning to tease her blonde hair extra high, and to make sure she put on a third layer of the cherry-red lipstick that had all the women crazed.

And to say that she was extremely happy when she got her recruit letter to Hawaii— was the understatement of the century. Candice had gotten it a day earlier than everyone else, and had brought in a three-layered chocolate cake that had all the nurses cheating on their diets.

Bryce didn't expect it this early, to say the least. Even if Candice had gotten hers— it didn't mean that Bryce thought she would get one, too. They had only finished their work with the pilots a few days ago, and were already hearing of their new positions. The brunette wasn't disappointed, but couldn't manage to get past the bit of confusion that simmered in her chest.

"Maybe for the opening of a new hospital on the harbor," Evelyn suggests. "You never know— maybe they just need us on board with the sailors as a helping hand."

Something in Bryce's chest told her otherwise, even though she couldn't be sure. But, from the way the letter was worded, she suspected nothing less than a dutiful job, like usual. This time, since the demands were so urgent, she'd have to start packing immediately.

"Pearl Harbor," she mutters, glancing out of the sky-view window across from them.

It was a beautiful place, and she knew that from experience. Several years ago, before her grandmother passed away, her grandparents used to live there. Bryce used to spend her summers there as a teenager— only to rise early in the mornings to see the crack of dawn, and to stay outside later to watch the sunset. Back then, she knew everything her life would consist of.