The Rise of the Dark Lord

Start from the beginning

Harry lowered his wand and both Cedric and he glanced quizzically at eachother before turning to watch the figure. It stopped beside a towering marble headstone, only six feet from them. For a second Harry and Cedric and the short figure simply looked at one another.

And then, without warning, my scar exploded with pain. I stuffed my knuckle in my mouth and bit into it as I muffled my scream. For now, the creature had no idea I was here, and I planned on keeping it that way; or me and Cedric's deal would be broken. . .

I tasted blood in my mouth but I didn't care. The pain in my forehead was unbelievable, but still. . . not as bad as the cruciatus curse.

From far away, I heard a high and cold voice sa, "Kill the spare."

A swishing noise and a second voice, which screeched the words to the night:

"Avada Kedavra!"

A blast of green light blazed through my eyelids, and I heard something heavy fall to the ground a few feet away; the pain in my scar reached such a pitch that I bit harder into my knuckle. Then . .. it left. I opened my eyes.

A few feet away, right beside Harry's crumpled figure lay Cedric, who was lying spread-eagled on the ground. I blinked. He almost looked dead. But he wasn't, he promised to not get hurt, and he always kept his promises.

I stared at Cedric for a moment. He wouldn't leave Harry to fight for himself would he? Why wouldn't he get up? I furrowed my brow and stared at him, any minute now, he would get to his feet and fire a hex at the short figure looming over he and Harry for trying to use such a ghastly spell on him.

Cedric didn't get up.

I watched in disbalief as Harry was pulled to his feet my the short man in the cloak. The short man in the cloak had put down his bundle, lit his wand, and was dragging Harry toward the marble headstone. I saw the name upon it flickering in the wand light before Harry was forced around and slammed against it.

TOM RIDDLE

I shiver raked my body at the name.

The cloaked man was now conjuring tight cords around Harry, tying him from neck to ankles to the headstone. Harry could hear shallow, fast breathing from the depths of the hood; he struggled, and the man hit him - hit him with a hand that had a finger missing.

And Harry and I realized who was under the hood. It was Wormtail.

"You!" Harry gasped.

But Wormtail, who had finished conjuring the ropes, did not reply; he was busy checking the tightness of the cords, his fingers trembling uncontrollably, rumbling over the knots.

I felt like running foreward and strangling Wormtail for betraying my parents and hitting Harry, but I stood in the shadows. I had promised Cedric to blend in and keep out of trouble; if I stood with the promise then Cedric would keep his - he promised he wouldn't get hurt.

Once sure that Harry was bound so tightly to the headstone that he couldn't move an inch, Wormtail drew a length of some black material from the inside of his cloak and stuffed it roughly into Harry's mouth; then, without a word, he turned from Harry and hurried away. I couldn't make a sound, nor could I see where Wormtail had gone.

I glanced at Cedric and was relieved to see that Wormtail didn't bother to acknolege him. I was suddenly happy Cedric was pretending to have fiented, because the bundle of robes was stirring fretfully, and my scar seared with pain. I didn't want Cedric to see what was in the robes, because I felt as though I already knew.

I could hear noises in Harry's direction. I looked around and saw a gigantic snake slithering through the grass, circling the headstone where he was tied. Wormtail's fast, wheezy breathing was growing louder again. It sounded as though he was forcing something heavy across the ground. Then he came back within myrange of vision, and I saw him pushing a stone cauldron to the foot of the grave. It was full of what seemed to be water -