[Daichi] Jealousy

It was amusing to see so many heads turning to look at you when you stepped into the gym. A myriad of voices called out your name in greeting. Waving at the members of the volleyball team, you held up a large bento box, laughing as they cheered for the promise of a snack.

"Alright, back to practice!" The captain's stern voice called out as he walked towards you. "We'll have a break in an hour."

A couple of sighs could be heard amidst the squeaking of shoes as the boys got back to their respective drills.

"Ever the slave driver, aren't you, Daichi?" You teased.

"Someone has to whip these guys into shape." Your boyfriend grinned and joked, "You're going to spoil the kids if you keep feeding them snacks."

"I was going to bring them for you anyways, so I thought I might as well bring some for the guys too."

"That's very thoughtful. Thank you." The slight twitch between his brows was not unnoticed and he took the bento bag from you, his touch lingering when your fingers came in contact. "Would you like to stay and watch us practice?"

You nodded and allowed him to motion for you to sit with Kiyoko on the benches, his hand on the small of your back. "I was hoping we could go home together today!"

"Of course-"

"Oi Daichi! Stop flirting!"

The juniors echoed after the seniors and Daichi sighed.

"Better get back to practice, Captain." You laughed, taking the bento back from him as Daichi nodded, jogging back onto the court.

"I guess, for slacking off, everyone... 100 flying receives!"

"EH?!"

You could see the start of Daichi's evil grin begin to appear on his face as he stared at his team, almost as if daring them to complain. When no one spoke louder than a grumble as they lined up at one end of the court, Daichi clapped his hand and shouted loudly, "begin!"

~~

"I'm beat!"

The boys were visibly exhausted as they made their way to the benches for their break. You paused your conversation with Kiyoko to help her pass out their bottles before opening the bento box to let the boys help themselves to the sandwiches you made. Everyone voiced their appreciation to you for the food; some more drastic than others with Tanaka and Nishinoya's tears of joy. A low chatter filled the gym and you spotted Daichi, who was still on the court talking to Ennoshita.

It was normal for him as Captain to be caught up with volleyball and the welfare of the team. He took his job seriously and you were proud of him for it, despite the fact that it severely limited the time you got to spend alone with him.

You were amused at the conversation between the other volleyball members especially when the first and second years started their usual shenanigans. Sugawara piped in with something silly and you nudged him, thus commencing an exchange of childish shoves and nudges. With a jibe here and a pun there, it was easy for everyone to burst out laughing again.

A menacing aura sent a chill down your spine and you saw the mirth slowly left the faces of the volleyball players in front of you.

"Since you guys have so much energy to spare fooling around, how about we cut short our break and get back to practice?"

You quirked a brow at Daichi's odd behaviour as he towered over the group. Hinata and Nishinoya, who were trying to climb onto Tanaka's back to touch his freshly shaved head, immediately halted in their actions and stood uncharacteristically quiet before their captain. Tension hung heavy in the air and everyone was silent until Asahi awkwardly spoke up, "O-Okay, I'm going to practice with my serves now..."

Following his lead, everyone began to filter back into the court, leaving only you and Daichi behind. He was in a bad mood. That much was obvious to everyone. You had your own suspicions as to why, but you that was a conversation to be had in private later on. Instead, you lightly touched his hand and passed him his bottle and a snack. Catching your gaze for a moment, he appeared frustrated when he declined the food, taking a swig of water before heading back to join his team mates on the court.

~~

Practice ended early that day, with the juniors taking off the moment everything was packed up. The third years, including yourself and Kiyoko remained to help lock up the gym, and Sugawara was the one who ultimately popped the question that was in everyone's mind.

"Daichi, what's up with you today?"

The volleyball captain sighed heavily, his hand moving to touch the back of his neck. "Sorry for being so... uptight... I just... want to take the team to Nationals and I guess the pressure is starting to get to me."

"Aw Daichi! Is that it? We'll make it this year," Sugawara reassured him; a loud thump resonating through the gym as he pat Daichi's back. Somehow, Asahi got dragged in and Sugawara had his arms slung over both Daichi and Asahi's shoulders, the two of them having to hunch from the setter's hold. "Karasuno has never been better poised to win!"

The mood was lightened significantly as the group said your goodbyes and disbanded after locking the doors to the gym. Sugawara, Asahi and Kiyoko left together as Daichi began to walk in the direction of your house, his fingers laced with yours, a light conversation taking place as you strolled back together.

Along the way, you gave his hand a gentle squeeze. "Wanna tell me what all that was really about?"

"...What do you mean?"

"Whatever's got you flustered right now," you sang as you stopped to stand in front of his broad figure, peering up at him with a knowing smile. He could fool his friends with his half-truths, but he could never fool you.

He grunted and tried to avoid your gaze. "With that look on your face, I think you know exactly why I acted that way..."

"You were jealous."

Daichi groaned and took a side step to continue walking but you moved to intercept him, tugging on his hand and leaving him with nowhere to run. "Why were you jealous?"

For the umpteenth time that day, Daichi sighed and admitted, "I'm not proud of it... but I just couldn't help myself from acting out when I saw how close you were getting with the guys. We've both been busy since final year started and I guess I just wanted to keep you all to myself..."

That beam on your face as you smiled up at him made him flick you. "You seem awfully smug about this."

"Just happy that I'm so loved," you laughed, rubbing your forehead. "And Daichi?"

"Hmm?"

"You don't have to be jealous," you said before wrapping your hands round his neck and giving him a kiss. "I'm all yours."

You could feel his smile against your lips as he deepened the kiss, and when he pulled away to catch a breath, he leaned his forehead against yours, a tender look in his eyes as he whispered, "maybe you should remind me of that more often."

Laughter chiming in the night, feeling warm in his embrace, your lips met with his once again.

"Gladly."