Chapter 1

Setting: John Goodspeed and his husband, Jack, went on a mission. Only ONE came back. Changed forever, Jack went on to become the Lord Commander. Now, if only he could get his SON to stop trying to run away from his duties.

***

Avocato was quick to notice that one of the vents on the wall was slightly askew. With the guards moments away from discovering his presence, he pulled it open, only to find himself staring at a mostly-hairless person. Wait, no, it was a human.

"Quick, get in!" the other man insisted, pulling the Ventrexian up into the vent shaft. They ended up pressed close together in the tight space. The human put one hand over his own mouth, and one over Avocato's as the guards raced past the now closed vent. Once he was sure the guards were gone, the young man pulled his hand away. "So, what are you hiding from?" the blond asked, glancing over at the Ventrexian.

"The guards. I'm here to rescue my son. What about you?" Avocato insisted. The feline patted his belt to make sure his gun was still in place.

"The same... well, minus the son part. Hey, I could help you rescue him!" the human suddenly exclaimed, smiling with excitement.

Avocato was suspicious of the sudden offer, but the boy couldn't be too bad if he was on the run from the guards, too. "Do you happen to know where holding cell 43 is?"

"Oh, sure I know where the holding cells are. I even escaped from one once, so if your son is in there, I can totally be your wingman. I'm Gary, by the way," the blond said, smiling far too cheerfully for someone on the run.

"Avocato," the Ventrexian grumbled, his ears still perked to catch any sounds from the guards beyond the vent.

"Clasp of friends?" the man suddenly asked, holding out his hand.

"Uh... okay," Avocato said, quickly shaking the other man's hand.

"YES! Friendmode engaged!" Gary cheered, holding the Ventrexian's hand a little longer than necessary.

"Shhhhhh!"

"sorry."

***

The human proceeded to babble as they crawled through the shafts, only quieting when the guards passed below their hiding space. Maybe he could take Gary with them. He seemed like he'd make a good rebel.

Once they reached the brig, Gary easily unscrewed the vent, indicating a strange familiarity with the area. Avocato didn't dwell on it. Not when his son was only a few feet away from him, separated only by a clear, massive dome. "It's okay now, little Cato. I'm here to rescue you," the Ventrexian insisted, pressing his hands against the dome.

"He can't hear you. It's soundproof. But luckily the next cell is open," Gary said, stepping into the other cell.

Avocato couldn't quite see what his new human companion was doing, but in moments, the dome was shut down, and little Cato was rushing into his waiting arms.

"So cute!" Gary squealed, unable to resist the urge to throw his arms around his new friends. "We did it!"

"Yeah, I guess we did. We make a good team," Avocato agreed, throwing a smile at the cheery blond. "Now, we have to get going before..."

The door opened, and they were quickly surrounded by armed soldiers. Avocato pulled his son close as a chill ran up his spine.

"Leaving so soon? Did you really think..." the Lord Commander's eyes suddenly locked on the person standing behind Avocato.