▬ eleven: not a date

IT TOOK CALEB half an hour to figure out what to wear

IT TOOK CALEB half an hour to figure out what to wear. He'd changed his shirt about ten times and in the end, he decided on a shirt that he stole from Timothy's closet. He didn't understand why he was so nervous about this but for some reason, this little get together felt remarkably like a date. And that was not the case. Not at all. He'd told himself over and over that it was not a date and despite this, he still went ahead to use deodorant about five times and was checking his hair despite the fact that there were really only so many ways that his closely buzzed hair could look.

From the mirror, Caleb could see Timothy walk into the room and drop down onto the bed. He stared at Caleb with a raised eyebrow and a suggestive look. "So, you getting ready for your date?" he asked.

"It's not a date."

"Sure." Timothy propped his head onto his hands and crinkled his brow as he gave Caleb's choice of clothing a once over. He shrugged at him as if to say 'not bad' and Caleb felt like a weight was lifted off his shoulder. Despite the facet that he pretended he didn't care one bit what his brother thought, Timothy was much more fashionable than he was and if he thought it was alright then it probably was. "Is that my shirt?"

"Thanks," Caleb replied briefly. Then something registered in his mind. "Wait, how did you even know that I was meeting up with Shuri?"

"Oh, Beth told me," Timothy answered casually.

This was intriguing. Caleb raised a brow at him. "So, you and Beth, huh? Does that mean that you two are together?" he asked carefully, so as not to give too much away.

Timothy scoffed. "Right. She would never date me. She hates me. She says it all the time. I believe her exact words were 'not even if the world was taken over by monkey and humanity's survival depended on us getting together'."

Caleb smiled at the memory of Timothy asking Beth if she'd like to come over and 'hang out'. "That was a bit of an over exaggeration," he replied simply, looking for a belt.

"What does that mean?"

"Nothing."

Timothy narrowed his eyes at his brother. "Then it's definitely something," he replied, urging his brother to continue. Caleb did nothing but shrug and bite his lips hoping that maybe, just maybe, Timothy would drop the subject. No such luck. "What? Does she talk about me?"