▬ ten: broken pieces

CALEB WOKE UP to the faint sound of shallow gasps

CALEB WOKE UP to the faint sound of shallow gasps. He rubbed his eyes groggily and turned over on his sleep before his brain registered what the sound meant. He jumped out of bed and was out of be within seconds.

He'd expected the day to go pretty well. That was stupid of him to expect something good to happen to him for once. Shuri was supposed to be there today and they weren't meeting under the greatest circumstances but Caleb had been glad to see her anyway. He'd hardly been able to contain his excitement the night before but all that he felt now was a looming dreading feeling that something horrible was happening.

The closer he got to his mother's room, the louder the wheezing sound seemed. It was a sound that he'd grown quite accustomed with. He bound into his mother's room to find his sister kneeling by her bed and urging their mother to breathe. For a moment, Caleb froze in his tracks, his mind assuming the worst. He'd always known that it would happen one day. Was this the day that he'd enter his mother's room and place his hand on the side of her neck to find nothing but silence? His chest seemed heavier as if somebody had dropped an anvil on him. He released a deep breath and forced his feet to move.

The step of the face mask attached to his mother's CPAP machine dangled uselessly onto the ground and Caleb grabbed it before attaching it to her face. "Go get water," he barked at Honey, who was out of the room and into the hall without question. He could hear the pitter-patter of her small feet outside the door and he forced himself to inhale slowly.

It didn't do much to ease his mind and all that he could focus on was the shallow breaths from his mother and the heavy rise and fall of her chest. Caleb slipped his hands into his mother's small and fragile grasp and he felt her fingers wrap around some of his. Honey burst into the room with a bowl of water and once, Caleb had checked to make sure that it was room temperature, he filled the small machine with water while Honey strapped the mask to her face.

Caleb started the machine and held his breath as he waited for her body to respond to the assistance. The gasping from his mother slowly reduced and soon, her breathing was even again. He released a breath that he didn't even realize that he'd been holding. He crouched beside her bed and pushed stray strands of hair out of her face. "You're okay, ma," he whispered to her. "You're okay." He watched as she met his eyes sluggishly and nodded as best as she could.