Chapter One

The age of eleven is glorious. Sure it is just two ones shoved beside each other, but it is the age where those who are fortunate enough receive a very special letter receive the best news of their life. A letter that is written in green ink and changes a certain child's life forever. Alice Brodeur was more than thrilled to hear the news that she would be attending Hogwarts, and it was all that she talked about from the moment she received the letter to the moment she boarded the Hogwarts Express. Her parents were, of course, thrilled to hear the news, but it was this news that had wedged a certain gap between her and her family. It was a gap so big that there is no point in even describing her family due to the effort that Alice was putting in to try and forget them. It is on this train that her story starts. She sat nervously in a cart hoping that someone would sit next to her.

"This is our cart, so you need to move." Alice looked up in surpise to see a boy with greasy blonde hair and grey eyes giving her an annoyed look.

"I am sorry, do you own this cart?" Alice smirked at the this bossy fellow. He was accompanied by two other young boys who looked as thick as rocks.

"Do you know who I am?" The blonde headed adolescent was now even more irritated.

"No."

"You're a mud blood aren't you? That is the only way to explain your stupidity."

Alice could feel her face turning a crimson shade. "I moved here three months ago, so sorry I am not totally caught up with every witch and wizard and their children."

"Where are you from?"

"France."

"Then why are you not going to school there?"

"I told you I moved. We just happened to move right before I turned eleven. It was all just coincidental."

"Your parents are wizards?"

She looked up at the boy and saw an opportunity. He was apparently well-known, he looked her age, and from his clothes and the way he carried himself he had to be wealthy. Alice knew that it would be of great advantage to become friends with him. "Yes, I was fortunate enough to be born into a family with deep roots in magic. What's your name?"

"Draco Malfoy. This is Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle. And you?"

"Alice Brodeur. It is nice to meet you." She shook hands with all three of the boys and scooted over towards the window as they sat down with her.

"Was your family respected in France?" Draco had a very authoritative tone to his voice, and it sounded quite strange on an eleven-year-old.

"Yes."

"What does your father do?"

"I would rather not talk about my family."

Draco rolled his eyes. "Well since you don't know who my family is-"

Draco then went on to explain how important his father and family was to the Ministry of Magic. Alice was not exactly paying attention for a good chunk of the expositional speech about the Malfoys. She instead started fidgeting with her wand and tried to look up and nod enough times to present the illusion that she was giving him her attention.

Once Draco had finished talking about the importance of his family he then moved on to their extreme wealth, touched a little bit on his (not flattering) opinions of muggle borns, boasted about how confident he was of being a Slytherin, and only stopped to ask Alice a simple question.

"Do you want to be a Slytherin?"

"Cunning and ambitious? I think that I could fit in quite well." There was no lie in that phrase. Out of the limited knowledge that Alice had on the houses at Hogwarts, she felt like she belonged in Slytherin. She could picture herself fitting in very good, and she had already befriended Draco Malfoy, who acted as if he were the Slytherin cheer leader.

The train came to a stop and a strange reality all of a sudden sunk into Alice's chest. She was at Hogwarts. She was finally there.

From the moment she stepped off of the train everything felt like a daze. She remembered crossing some body of water in boats, she remembered everyone giving a certain dark-haired boy with glasses strange stares, and she remembered hearing Draco's talking in the background. Alice wanted to just soak in everything, but there was just so much. Before she knew it she was standing in front of a hat with the rest of the first years.

A woman, who introduced herself as Professor Mcgongal, stood before them and said something about how the hat would place then in their house. Alice smiled as she thought of a hat telling people,where to go. What is it going to do, talk?

It was at that moment that the hat started talking. Her eyes grew huge, and most of the people around her did not seem that surprised. Alice found herself once again in a daze as her senses were going into overload. Between the talking hat and the floating candles, she felt as if all laws of reality were being thrown out a window.

"Alice Brodeur."

Alice walked up hesitantly and let the Professor Mcgongal place the hat on her head.

"You are definitely one who will do anything for her own gain." The hat said after it was situated on her head. I very much think I should be in Slytherin. "People like you do not belong in Slytherin." Please. "You would do very well." No one will ever know who I really am. What I really am. "Someone will find out, and that will not be pretty for you." Just as Alice was about to say something back the hat yelled out with a booming voice, "SLYTHERIN!"

The table on the far right cheered as she walked over to join them. Green robes, ties, and scarves welcomed her to her new home. The ceremony went on, and it was starting to grow quite monotonous. Draco was placed (with no hesitation) in Slytherin along with Crabbe and Goyle.  There were others, and no one really stood out until the dark-haired boy with the glasses walked up. The air went stiff, and he was obviously having his own conversation with the hat. "GRYFFENDOR!" It declared as the boy was received into a mass of red and gold. Alice wanted to ask who he was, but it was obvious that everyone knew except for her.

After dinner the Slytherins found themselves walking past talking paintings, down moving staircases, and they were soon in the dungeons. As the group made their way towards one of the walls everyone was notified that the password was serpent until the next fortnight.

"Don't expect the password to always be that easy, first-years," said one of the prefects as the wall opened to reveal their common room. There were so many beautiful features and details in the common room, but that would be for Alice to notice later. In that certain moment sleep seemed to all of a sudden hit her, so she quickly found her bed and climbed in.

She went to sleep thinking of her house, her strange friend, and the dark-haired boy whose identity would soon be discovered.