Chapter 35 - Escape

I forgot the fact that Vanessa was pregnant... Okay😂

Vanessa's POV

"Thanks again for coming on short notice Vanessa. You did a good job," the director said to me.

"No problem," I smiled. "I gotta get going though. My boyfriend's at the hospital with my sister. Haven't heard from them yet," I said as I took my bag and was about to leave.

"Oh, you're dating Riker Lynch, right?"

"Yes."

"Is he the father?"

"What?"

"Riker Lynch," he gazed down at my stomach. I took a hint.

"Oh! Oh yeah, he is."

"Do you know the gender yet?"

"No, not yet."

"Well, you'll be a great mom. See ya next week."

"Bye!" I waved and walked out to my car.

It's been 6 months, and I wouldn't say I'm that big. I mean, the directors had to fit in the script that Bay was pregnant with Emmett's baby, so that worked.

I drove all the way to the hospital and walked towards the front desk.

"Hi! Here to check on Laura Marano and Riker Lynch," I said to the nurse.

"Ah, I'm guessing you're Vanessa Marano; Laura's sister?" The nurse replied.

"Yep, that's me."

"Then you're probably here to see Melody too, huh?"

That confused me.

"Sorry?" I had a weird look.

"Oh they didn't tell you? Yeah, the hospital found Melody on the street, sick. Turns out she has Brain Cancer and there's actually a lot of drama at the moment."

"Wow... Really?"

"Yes."

I stood there thinking for a while, leaving the nurse and I in complete silence until she handed me a pen and a paper tied to a clipboard.

"Here," she says. "Just sign your name, and write the name of the patient you're seeing."

I took the pen and legibly wrote my name under the column 'Name.' Then wrote 'Riker Lynch and Laura Marano' under 'Patient(s),' and signed it.

I moved the clipboard towards her and she told me their room number.

There was a woman heading to the elevator already, so I ran behind her.

But then I realized that the woman looked familiar-too familiar.

"Miranda?" I tapped the lady's shoulder once.

She turned around and I was right. It was Miranda. "Oh Vanessa, you startled me. Hi," Miranda smiled.

"Hi," I said back with a small smile as well.

We walked towards the elevator and the door shut as I tapped the number 5. I'm guessing Miranda's going where I'm going 'cause she didn't bother to touch a number.

"So where were you throughout all the drama?" She asked me.

"Filming an emergency episode of Switched At Birth. Part of the film we shot last week was missing, so we had to do it again," I said.

"Ah well, you missed a lot."

"What's that lot that I missed, exactly?"

"Maybe Laura could explain that to you."

I looked down to my thoughts of Laura. Is she still mad and ignoring me?

"Yeah... I, uh, I don't think Laura's talking to me."

"What? Why?"

"We sorta had a little fight... Okay, not exactly little, but, it is a mistake I did."

"Is this about Kristine?"

I nodded.

"It's okay. Laura told me about how you knew about her all along," Miranda quietly answered.

I had nothing else to say. "Oh."

Instead, Miranda patted my back and gave me a warm smile. "You were only trying to help your sister, you did the right thing."

"Thanks," I smiled too. "You and Ross are the only ones supportive of me."

"Really? What about Riker?"

"He kinda took Laura's side..."

I jumped a little when Miranda's phone rang since we were in silence.

Why is this such a long elevator ride?

She picked up her phone.

"Sorry," she said to me before she put it to her ear.

"It's okay," I mouthed.

The elevator doors opened (finally) and we both walked out. I enjoyed the talk with Miranda though, until her phone rang.

"Hello?..." She talked into the phone. "What?!...... What do you mean?! Where were the men in charge?....... Ugh they are so fired!...... Okay, okay, I'll be there." Miranda hung up.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, worried about her since she seems so stressed out with the call.

"No. It's not. Maia escaped."