Thalente called the next name and eyes returned to the front. But not before the girl directly in front of them, gave Baulder an incredibly flirtatious smile.

Justice laughed out loud and the girl's face fell, eyes flicking to hers and narrowing. She smirked backed and rolled her eyes at the olive-skinned girl.

"Justice Edwards?"

She laughed at the young girl's scowl, and without looking up called out her reply to Thalente. Again, another murmur and the crowd turned to look in their direction. The girl who'd been giving Justice a death stare widened her eyes in shock and quickly whipped her head back around to the front.

Justice hadn't expected to anyone to know who she was and was surprised for the attention.

"You forget that your father's name was on everyone's Summons," said Baulder softly. She looked at him and he rocked back on his heels and flashed her a smug smile. "Get used to it."

If there was one thing Justice was okay with, it was attention. No immortal family shared the same surname, and if being an Edwards was something sensational, she was all for it. She grinned back. "This could be fun."

He groaned then chuckled. "Of course you'd think that."

Thalente continued her way through the list, calling out names and marking them off with a curt nod. Justice found her eyes wandering around the courtyard as she imagined what it was going to be like here for the next fourth months.

As she considered hosting a party one night, movement out the corner of her eye, made Justice turn her head. A smile spread over her face as Anton and the older man he'd been with at her father's office, came into the yard and made their way to the group.

For the first time since she'd ever seen him, he was wearing a tight-fitting singlet. She was so used to seeing him hidden behind loose teeshirts, it was a surprise to see his physique so unashamedly on display. It clung to his well-toned chest and she was sure she could see the outline of his defined stomach muscles as he walked. Loose sparring pants fell from his hips, and he was more than prepared for their first combat training session today.

Her lips soon pursed in confusion as the men took up a place beside the guide at the front of the group. The way they both stood there, with a certain air of authority that she didn't understand. Anton was a confident man, but so far it had always been accompanied by a cheeky flirtatious side. Now, he seemed, all business. Her forehead wrinkled as she tried to make sense of this change in his demeanour. She watched as his azure eyes scanned the group, and finding hers they locked on with a sparkle. His mouth curled into a sly grin and he gave her a knowing wink. Okay, maybe he wasn't all business, she thought. The hairs on the skin of her arms stood up and she felt a warmth rush through her stomach. She gave him a questioning look and he seemed to silently chuckle in response.

The olive-skinned girl followed his line of sight and seeing it on Justice, appeared exasperated.

She felt Baulder turn to look at her briefly and she refused to meet his gaze.

Justice didn't mind everyone noticing the attention Anton gave her. In fact, she liked it. Despite her continued confusion as to why he was standing at the front of the group like he was, she flashed back a glorious smile.

He silently chuckled again and she felt herself do the same.

What is going on here?

"Our first point of order for today is a simple assessment of everyone's skills," continued Thalente.

Justice drew her eyes away from Anton. She didn't want to make things too easy for him. This was new ground. Here wasn't someone she needed to keep herself emotionally detached from. A sudden fear of the unknown rose within her chest. She'd never before cared if a boy genuinely liked her. Or even, if she truly liked them. It was terrifying. All her tricks and games seemed useless here.