||THIRTEEN||

"Take the orb and run. Hide.", Gamora had said once Nebula had lost the for the quarter of a second, "She won't expect me to give the orb to a puny human."

Of course, the assassin did not voice it but both of them knew that at that moment, with Peter, Rocket and Groot still facing the aftermaths of Drax actually calling Ronan, Avril was the best chance they had right now.

In the brunette's opinion that was pretty screwed up considering that she indeed was only a puny human.

In contrast to Gamora she could not sprint through the mud of Knowhere in heels. She couldn't catch knives that were flying at her and she certainly could not last in a fight against the creepy step sister Gamora had urged (or more shoved) her away from.

So as Avril tumbled around the next corner she prayed that the green skinned would be able to keep Nebula away from her.

The machine girl's black eyes gave her the creeps and she certainly did not want them to find out about the orb buried deep within one of the abnormally large pockets of Quill's jacket.

Yeah, maybe she was the best chance they had but that did not take away from the fact that as of right then, there was a high chance that they would fail and would not survive what came after.

Anxiety rising up within the female Avril pushed herself harder, her boots nearly sinking in the dirt and the water of the puddles splashing up.

"You need to be faster than that!", Gamora's voice (at least Avril suspected or more like hoped it to be her) sounded from somewhere and the brunette's heart picked up speed.

It was a deadly game they were playing and at that moment Ave wished that they could just leave the Orb to Ronan and then take off to hunt down some stranger she certainly would not attach to.

Avril didn't know why it was at that moment that her brain decided to think of the idiot but the thoughts clouded her mind, mixing together with the fear and adrenaline pulsing through her veins, vivid pictures appearing when they really shouldn't be there.

The brunette had never, never seen anything but money in her and her family's targets and yet Avril couldn't even imagine what would happen, if they were to continue their journey without Peter Quill.

Maybe, just maybe, if it wasn't for her running from more than one person trying to kill her Avril would have paid more mind to that fact, explored its meaning even, but at that moment these thoughts, this certain, heart-clenching emotion only added fuel to the panic rushing through her.

She didn't notice really, though as she did round the next corner, nearly crashing into an old man she was going even faster than before while the wound on the back of her head felt like it was about to burst.

Sure enough, she felt blood running down, sticking together her already pretty messed up hair.

Aside from the diziness returning with the bleeding, her lungs hurt from running so fast whike her right hand ached from clutching the orb hard as she skidded around the Strange male and then continued her way.

"Watch out you little shit!", the stranger called out to her, attention automatically coming the females way as gunshots (most likely Quill's) rung in the distance.

Yet, before Avril even had the time to react to the male's agitated words, the brunette felt a tug at her (Peter's) jacket before it was grabbed tightly, dragging the whole of her body with it as it was pulled into the alleyway to her left.

Fingers brushed her lips as the person prevented her from letting out more than a muffled noise of protest.

"Screaming would be quite the bad idea, missy.", the dark voice of a male spoke, blue hand clasping Avril's arm tighter than necessary as a silver needle, barely as big as her underarm hovered over her forehead.