The tense atmosphere in the room had began to lessen and not just because we were entering Deimos’ night phrase. The guests had accepted they were not going anywhere for a while and were starting to relax, talking in twos and threes and finishing off the wine. The only exceptions were Jacques Loki, whom Mirabi had cornered against the wall and was firing questions at, and Lord Karl Yahweh, who was standing alone playing with a watchcom – Helmcom’s signal scanners told me he was flipping through the news networks – but he stopped as soon as he saw me coming. He straightened and I watched the four hundred years of breeding distinctive to the Jupiter Nobilita rise up his visage like a force field.

            “Yes, Sergeant Midgard?” he said, making me sound like a tiresome nuisance.

            “Just a couple of questions, sir,” I said. “First; your titles on the guest list. Are they accurate?”

            “Of course they are.”

            His name on the list – which the ever efficient James Metatron had produced for us – was: Lord Karl Yahweh. Io, J.I - PhD. MA. MC. J.I.R.C. The last one I happened to know stood for Jupiter Imperia Royal Council.

            “If you’re one of the Emperor’s cabinet ministers,” I said, “you must know the man himself pretty well. I’m curious as to why you were really leaving in such a hurry after the death of your overlord’s son and heir.”

            “In point of fact, Sergeant, that is precisely the reason I was leaving,” said Yahweh. “I know his Imperial Highness extremely well. We meet almost daily. When not in public, we are on first name terms. His daughters call my wife ‘Auntie Myrtle’. His Imperial Highness is an old and dear friend, Sergeant Midgard. My intention was to inform him in person of William’s death. Forgive me for assuming you would not have the time to spare for a long explanation on the hanger deck.”

            “Couldn’t you have called him?”

            “This is hardly the kind of news I want to give him – or he would want to receive – over a hololink,” said Yahweh. “Though, as you are obviously not going to allow anyone to leave, I will make a call. It will at least be slightly better than him learning from the newsfeeds.

            “I’m afraid you won’t,” I said. “This is a murder investigation. It’s staying sterile as long as possible. No one is leaving or sending any communications off-moon, so don’t worry about the newsfeeds just yet.”

            Yahweh bristled with frustration at not being able to pull rank on me. I smiled pleasantly back.

            “Very well,” he said. “When I do speak to the Emperor, I shall make sure to mention your name.”

            “Most kind, but gratitude’s unnecessary,” I said. “Catching his son’s killer is my job, after all.”

            “Actually, it’s the Imperial Guards job, regardless of whether or not this Darwin-forsaken rock is independent territory…”