“Well, you already know my name and my favorite animal. You know where I work and how I know Yolanda.”

I did see a t-shirt with a koala bear printed on it the other day and I thought of Ashton.

“Where do you live?”

“About five blocks away from you, near where they’re building those new apartments? I live in one of the red ones just down that street.”

I know where he’s talking about. I’d passed it once when I was out jogging, but there was a lot of dust because of the constructions so I hadn’t run there again. It was a nice neighborhood though, it didn’t look so fancy but it didn’t look trashy either.

“Do you have any siblings?”

He shakes his head making his hair bounce a little.

“I have a younger brother, Adam. He’s 11. Really annoying, so you should be glad you don’t have any.”

“I used to get lonely when I was younger, you know. No one to play with except Yolanda. You should be happy you’ve got someone.”

“But you don’t know him.”

“He’s still your brother.”

“I know Adam is still my brother, I’m just saying you don’t know him. He was cute and all when he was younger, but when he got older he was everywhere, took my stuff and then hid them. I still think he’s got some of them.”

“That would drive me mad, too. What does your parents work with?”

“Mom works at a bank and dad at Youngman Inc. It’s a …”

“...software company,” he finishes my sentence.

“How did you know?”

“Michael wants to work at Youngman. He’s been talking about it for the past four years or so.”

“Is he good with computers?” I recall he told me he studies IT.

“He’s as good with computers as me making pancakes.”

“Oh then he sucks,” I smirk and see Ashton opens his mouth as if he’s hurt before a laughter escapes him.

“You’re funny,” he smiles and I feel myself blush.

“Thank you,” I say.

“What?”

“Thank you,” I say louder even though I know he heard me the first time.

“You’re welcome. You really should learn to take a compliment.”

“Never really got any before.”

What did I just say? Now I have to explain myself and I’m not sure if I could do that, but Ashton doesn’t say anything. He just takes another bite of his sandwich. Maybe he didn’t hear me. But I’m sure he did. Maybe he gets it, maybe he knew something about it.

“Tell me something else,” he says. “Something about you. What do you like? Movies, books, music, sports…anything.”

“I like tennis.”

“Oh, you play?”

“No, I prefer just shooting a ball against a wall.”

“By yourself?”

I nod. I've never had anyone to play with.

“If you want someone to play with, just tell me. I’d be happy to be your partner,” he says, his cheeks coloring. “Sorry, I can never keep my mouth shut. I always speak my mind. It’s another curse.”