Chapter 12

Beau stretched, scratching at his stomach as he made his way to the kitchen. He was an early riser naturally. His feet were bare on the hardwood, wearing nothing but a pair of boxers. He pulled open the fridge, pulling out a carton of orange juice, eggs and a pack of bacon. He tossed it all onto the island before grabbing for a skillet. He spread butter along the bottom of the skillet before placing it on the stove. He popped open the orange juice and took a long drink. The liquid refreshing to his dry mouth. He grabbed a bowl and cracked a few eggs, adding salt and pepper before pouring it onto the skillet.

The sound of soft footsteps caught his attention and he turned just as Grace walked in. She wore a pair of light blue jeans that hugged her just right, a black t-shirt that read Book Worm and a pair of black converse. Her hair was falling down around her shoulders in a mass of curly hair. Her brown skin seemed to glow as she neared him. He crossed his arms over his chest, a smile forming on his lips.

As she walked into the kitchen she froze when her eyes landed on him. She gasped, taking a defensive step back before stilling. "You're naked..."

He laughed, "Nah, sweetness. I'm wearing boxer's."

She huffed, "Could you please just... go get dressed or put on a robe or something."

He raised a brow, "Why? There ain't no shame in my game."

She made a sour face at that remark. "I'm sure there isn't but it would be nice to maintain a little curtosy. I would even recommend professionalism but we both know you don't care too much for that."

He burst out laughing. "Well, I would get dressed but I already started breakfast."

She tsked. Walking toward the island. "I'll finish making it. Please go put some clothing on your body. I am here to work, so let me work."

He raised his hands in surrender before walking around the island, making sure to get close enough to brush her arm against his own. She felt the warmth of his skin and jump back, smushing herself against the island's countertop. She suddenly felt tingly.

The glare she shot at him as he made his way back toward the stairs could have melted ice, it was so heated. She sucked in a breath, reminding herself that he wasn't for here. Focus on the job, Grace. That's what you're here for.

She proceeded to cook, searching through the cabinets everyonce in a while to find plates, cups and silverware before laying out the food on the countertop. She poured the orange juice into glasses, settling his plate in front of one of the chairs at the table.

Beau made his way back down the stairs. He sported jeans that fit his hips just right, slightly hanging down his hips and a plain white tee. She paused as she noticed him, she couldn't help but admire the man. He was good looking. He smiled at her as he took his seat.

"You like what you see, sweetness?" He asked as he reached for his food, stuffing a large fork full of eggs into his mouth.

She rolled her eyes. He was so smug. "No, not really. I was just wondering why you don't have on a hat. I'm surprised actually."

He chuckled, "A country man never wears at hat in his own home, Grace."

Grace snorted before moving to place the dishes she had used in the sink. After doing that she leaned against the sink, eyeing Beau with jaded eyes. "So, what is my first order of duty today?"

He scarfed down multiple pieces of bacon before taking a long drink of orange juice. "First things first, we're driving down to my brother's place. We're having a family barbeque tonight and plus I promised to swing by early to help set up."

Her brows furrowed. "Um, I don't think I should attend."

"Why not?"

"Keyword: family. I'm not your family. I'm a live in...assistant, maid?"

Beau stood, picking up his plate and moving toward her. She stiffened as he stood in front of her, his chest brushing up against her breast. He tossed his plate into the sink, leaning down to whisper in her ear. "I'm the boss and I say you're coming."

She gulped. Her breath catching in her throat. He smelled like soap. Fresh and clean and earthy. She leaned into the sink, trying to garner some space. This was ridiculous. "Mr. Ashford, this isn't appropriate."

He chuckled, his arms caging her in. "We're back to Mr. Ashford again?"

They locked eyes and for a second Grace felt her legs start to shake. She felt like she was turning into jelly. "I am your employee. It's professional."

He licked his lips, raising a brow. "This is strictly business," he said deeply, trying to look stern.

She frowned, "I'm serious. You-y-you're my boss and so this-I mean nothing will happen between us."

He smirked, the corner of his lips lifting slow. "Oh, yeah. Nothing will happen between us. Just business. Only business. That's what you want to hear, right? So, I'll indulge you for now." He took a step back from her before turning on his heels and heading for the door.

"Come out to the car when you're ready, sweetness. We got ourselves a long day ahead of us."

She exhaled the breath that she had been holding onto. She could feel another headache brewing.