Chapter 3

Dendy opened her eyes to see a dark purple landscape. Is this K.O.'s mind?  Dendy asked herself.

To answer her question, Dendy could her shouting nearby. She ran toward the noise and found K.O. battling T.K.O. She was right—T.K.O. had broken out of his cage.

T.K.O. was throwing furious punches at K.O.  K.O. was blocking, but he was still being forced backward by his alter-ego's powerful attacks. T.K.O.'s fists started sparking with purple electricity, and he pulled another powerful punch. This time, K.O. was launched backward behind Dendy.

"K.O.!" Dendy shouted, running back to K.O. He was crouching on the ground, panting heavily. As Dendy neared, his eyes widened. "Dendy? What're you—" He stopped. "Look out!" He pushed Dendy out of the way as T.K.O. plummeted at the ground where K.O. was lying.

T.K.O. looked around for K.O., then spotted him. "There you are!" he growled, his fist sparking again. He paused as he noticed Dendy. "Huh? How'd you get here?"

"Dendy, you gotta stay back," K.O. told her.

"But—" Dendy started, but K.O. ran back at T.K.O. and started throwing more punches. T.K.O. laughed evilly.

"Hah, nice try, K.O.," T.K.O. chuckled sarcastically. "But you're forgetting something." T.K.O. suddenly teleported behind him again, then grabbed him by the arm, whirling him around and smashing him on the ground, before throwing him into the air. "I'm much stronger than you!" K.O. landed with a huge thud on the ground.

"K.O.!" Dendy screeched, close to tears, as she ran to where her best friend was lying face-first on the ground. "K.O., wake up!" Dendy shook him, but he hardly reacted. "Please wake up!" Dendy was crying now and shaking him harder. Sobbing, Dendy gave him a hug.

Miraculously, K.O. wearily opened his eyes. "D-Dendy?"

"K.O.!" Dendy exclaimed. She wiped the tears from her eyes and hugged K.O. even tighter. "I'm so glad you're okay!"

"Thanks," K.O. murmured, his cheeks reddening a bit as he hugged Dendy back. "Ouch! Careful, he kinda slammed me on the ground," he added halfheartedly.

"Sorry," Dendy apologized, loosening her grip on K.O. a bit.

Suddenly T.K.O. teleported closer to them. "Aw, what a lovely scene," he growled maliciously. "But it's time for you to get back in the cage, faker!"

"You're the faker!" Dendy protested.

"Shut up!" T.K.O. shouted. "Or you can join him in the cage, too!" With a shout, T.K.O. ran at K.O. and Dendy. They flinched, expecting to be sent flying into a cage. But for some reason, T.K.O. couldn't touch them. A bright golden light surrounded K.O. and Dendy, a light that T.K.O. couldn't break through.

"Huh?" T.K.O. looked puzzled. He punched again, but he still couldn't breach the light. "What is this?" he shouted in frustration.

"Yeah, what's going on?" K.O. asked Dendy.

"It seems this force field is made from your positive emotions," Dendy hypothesized. "T.K.O. can't break through!"

Suddenly the force field glowed brighter than the sun. It turned into a small, glowing ball, which entered K.O.'s chest. A shimmering golden aura engulfed him. K.O.'s eyes snapped open and he looked fully energized. Then he sat up; he looked at Dendy with a determined look and nodded.

"Hmph," T.K.O. scoffed, smirking. "Two can play the glowing game." Suddenly T.K.O. was engulfed in purple energy. He and K.O. rushed at each other. K.O. threw some powerful punches, his fist sparking with golden energy to rival T.K.O.'s purple energy.

T.K.O. threw punches at K.O., but K.O. was dodging them easily. T.K.O. was clearly getting frustrated. His fists were actually burning, engulfed in a purple fire. With an angry scream, T.K.O.'s energy burst from his hand as he punched K.O. However, K.O. caught his punch and put out the flame. K.O., shouting loudly, whirled T.K.O. around and launched him into the air as T.K.O. had done before. Stunned, he landed on the ground with a loud thud.

T.K.O. wearily opened his eyes with a groan and saw K.O. stranding over him. K.O. raised his arm, about to punch T.K.O. But as T.K.O. instinctively raised his hands in defense, K.O. realized his counterpart, who was supposed to be tough, mean, cruel, and evil was crying. He didn't make a sound, but T.K.O. was indeed crying. Shocked, K.O. hesitated, then his compassion took over and he lowered his fist.

T.K.O. blinked in surprise. He lowered his arms and stared at K.O. in confusion. "What're you doing?"

"Wh-why are you crying?" K.O. asked softly.

"Huh?" T.K.O. felt his cheek and noticed it was wet. He made a shocked expression, then hurriedly wiped away his tears. "Why do you care?"

"Sorry, I-I was just a little surprised," K.O. said. "Are you okay?"

K.O.'s question seemed to enrage T.K.O. "Are you pitying me?!"

"N-no!" K.O. protested. "I was just worried about you."

"Worried? Worried?!  Why are you  worried?!" T.K.O. screamed.

"Because it is in his nature," Dendy told T.K.O. K.O. had almost forgotten she was there. "K.O. is a kind, considerate person who cares about everyone, even people like you."

"It's like you asked me before—I can be a hero without you, even if I don't have much power. I can still help people," K.O. told him. He stepped forward and outstretched his hand. T.K.O. flinched, as if expecting K.O. to hit him. He looked at K.O.'s hand, then at K.O. himself. "So, do you need any help?" T.K.O. kept glancing from K.O.'s hand to K.O. He searched his goody-two-shoes counterpart's eyes for any hint of malice or deceit, but all he found was kindness and compassion.

Very hesitantly, T.K.O. stretched out his hand to K.O.'s. Smiling widely, K.O. pulled T.K.O. up on his feet.

"Thanks," T.K.O. grumbled.

"No problem," K.O. told him, surprised that T.K.O. actually said thank you, sort of. "I wish you didn't have to stay in that little cage all the time," K.O. thought aloud.

"You and me both," T.K.O. scoffed.

"Can't you stay out of the cage and  let me stay in control?" K.O. asked.

"I'm afraid not, K.O.," Dendy told him. "I think if you and T.K.O. stay out of that cage, your two personalities would clash. Your brain would not be able to settle on one, and you'd most likely stay asleep the majority of the time."

"Oh, well." K.O. thought for a moment. "What if...we got him out of my subconscious? Could you do that?" K.O. acutely noticed T.K.O.'s eyes widening.

"It may be possible," Dendy thought aloud. "I'd have to do some research, however."

"You'd really do that?" T.K.O. asked in disbelief. He seemed really puzzled.

"Yeah. I mean, no one wants to be stuck in a cage all the time," K.O. told him.

Suddenly K.O. noticed that T.K.O. seemed...happy. He was actually smiling slightly. T.K.O. must've noticed K.O. staring at him because he dropped his smile and turned away. "You should get out of here," he mumbled. T.K.O. shut his eyes, and his cage appeared behind him. K.O. glanced at Dendy. He was surprisingly sad to see his counterpart inside his cage. Without looking at K.O., T.K.O. slammed the cage shut, and Dendy and K.O. finally woke up.