1

I got woken up by my alarm on my phone. I groaned and grabbed the device and stopped it from emitting the loud noise. I sighed and looked around the room, trying to get my eyes used to the light. I pulled off the covers. I walked into my bathroom and looked in the mirror "Okay" I said and started getting ready "Don't you look so pretty this morning" Martha said as I walked downstairs "Thank you" I smiled and sat down at the table "Here's your lunch" she said, putting the lunch box down on the counter "Thank you" I smiled and began eating my breakfast. My phone rang about 15 minutes later "It's Zach, I gotta go. See you later Martha" I said and grabbed my bag, rushing out the door. I got into Zach's car and he greeted me with a big smile "Morning, gorgeous" he said and kissed me "Hey" I said and put on my seatbelt "Ready?" he asked "Yeah, just stick around me today maybe" I sighed "No worries" he said and put a hand on my thigh as he drove to school "Look, it's Jess and Alex" Zach said as he opened the door for me. I looked at them and the two of them spotted us as well "C'mon" Zach said and put a hand around my shoulders, walking towards them "Looking good, Standall" Zach smiled "Thanks" Alex said "Hey" I smiled and hugged Jessica and then Alex "You look good" Jess said "You too...so, ready to pretend we're enjoying hell?" I said and she chuckled "Sure" she said "I'll carry that for you" Zach said and grabbed Alex's backpack. We walked inside the school, to Jess's locker "Oh my God" I mumbled as I saw Bryce and some other athlete's walking towards us "Rox, Jess, Alex, nice to see you. Welcome back" Bryce grinned as they passed up "Welcome back? Really?" Alex said "Alex just stop" Jess said and the boy scoffed "I'll see you guys in 3rd" Jess said and left "I should go to my locker too, before class starts" I said "Want me to go with you?" Zach asked "No, you go with Alex, you have the same class anyway" I said and he nodded "See you guys later" I smiled and left. As I walked the halls, I could feel a few eyes on me but people mostly greeted me. I could tell majority of it was fake. The 'how are you?' questions with the superficial expectation for a 'I'm good' answer. It's just protocol, at the end of the day, nobody really gives a shit. When they tell you how 'they missed you so much' but they never actually bothered to check on you when you're down and hurting. All these friends we have in high school? The followers on social media and everything, they're not your friends. None of them. A friend is someone who's there for you when you need them, when you feel like the world is falling apart. They make your whole day better and comfort you. A friend is someone like Jeff Atkins "And the sun is shining through the windows of Liberty High once again. Oh! The divinity of the burning star. Who alterest all things with thy peering eyes" Jeff dramatically spoke as he made his way towards me, catching a few people's attention "You're such a weirdo, stop" I laughed and hugged him tightly "Good to see you owning the halls again" he smiled and kissed my forehead "I don't know about owning, I lost that privilege" I said and he scoffed "Yeah right, the minute you show up everybody's gonna be back at your feet" he laughed "I'm not even cheer cap anymore, Chloe is" I said "Pff, who cares. C'mon let's go to first period" he smiled and I nodded, shutting my locker. The bell rang as we all settled in our seats "Alright class" the teacher said as he walked in "Miss Campbell, nice to see you amongst us again" he said, giving me a short smile and I nodded, taking out my textbook.
I sat at the table in the cafeteria with Jess and Alex when Zach and the rest of the bunch walked in "Why is he still hanging around Bryce?" Alex asked and I sighed "He said....I mean they're on the team together and aside from all of that, Bryce and Zach are brothers" I said "It's disgusting" Jess said "I know, trust me I know. But....he can't risk it, he needs scholarships and-" I said "Let's just drop it, I don't want to talk about him" Jess said "Did you guys talk to Clay at all?" I asked but they both stayed silent "Apparently he's dating Skye" I said "Skye? Really?" Alex asked "Quite the switch from Hannah, huh" Jess said "I heard she's a great girl....tho it's a little strange to see her and Clay" I said "Fucking Tyler Down is testifying today" Alex spoke "I wonder what he's saying" Jessica said "I heard that we're all supposed to, the Bakers and the school picked their pawns" Alex said "Yeah" I sighed "Did the Bakers ask you?" Jess asked "No, the school did. Since I'm so involved and everything, my parents are involved with the school" I said "What are you going to say?" Alex asked "I'm not testifying" I said "You're not?" Jess asked "No. Not for the school and not for the Bakers" I said "Why?" Alex asked "I don't want to get involved with this again, it's just gonna cause trouble. I want to move on" I said and sipped my water "Hey" Zach said as he walked up to us "Hey" I smiled "Wanna uh...come sit with me and the rest?" he asked and I glanced at Bryce's table "Uh....yeah, I guess. Sure" I said and stood up, grabbing my things "I'll see you guys later" I said to Alex and Jess "Heyy, Rox" Bryce smiled as I sat down "How you doing?" he asked "I'm good" I shot him a short smile "Did you do something to your hair? There's something different about you" he said "Uh, no I didn't" I said and he nodded "Hey baby" Chloe said as she jogged up to the table and kissed Bryce. No way. "Roxy! I'm so happy to see you" Chloe said and hugged me, sitting down next to Bryce "I know I'm captain of the squad now but I hope we can still work together. You can be co-captain" she smiled "Yeah" I said and continued eating my lunch.
After classes, we had cheer practice while the guys trained for Baseball "Great work everybody. Jess, I'm happy you're back and I know you have to take is easy still so good job as well" Chloe said "Thanks" Jess said sarcastically "And Roxy, amazing! Everybody should take an example from you, heard that ladies?" Chloe said out loud "Thanks Chloe" I said and drank some water "I should go, see you later" Jess said and left "Babe!" Chloe yelled out and waved at Bryce "Let's go greet our mans" she giggled and grabbed my arm. I grabbed my dust bag and swung it over my shoulders, letting myself be pulled over to the bleachers where the team was sitting "You looked amazing out there today" Chloe smiled and sat in his lap "It wasn't my best day actually" Bryce chuckled. It was awkward seeing Bryce acting like nothing happened, chilling even. He managed to turn the school around so everybody believes him "Hey, let me just go change and we can go" Zach said and I nodded, watching him leave "So Roxy, got any plans for Friday?" Bryce asked "I don't know, why?" I asked "You wanna come to my place this weekend? I'm having a little get together, inner circle only you know" Bryce winked "Uh, not sure. I have a lot of school stuff to catch up on still" I said "Oh come on, it'll be fun. You knows it always fun when it us, right guys" Bryce said and his boys cheered "Yeah Roxy, come" Chloe smiled "Zach is coming" Bryce added "Tell you what, save me some room and I'll swing by if I can" I said "Sure thing" Bryce said "Rox! C'mon" Zach called out "See you later guys" I said and rushed off.