chapter eight.

"Why?" Draco narrowed his eyes.

"Well I just want to know why you're so obsessed with her all of a sudden. She is Ron's sister, and was my girlfriend." Harry said angrily.

"Was your girlfriend?" Draco stared at him.

"I broke up with her." Harry said bluntly.

"Was she hurt?" Draco said quickly, scowling. The idea of Ginny crying because of this idiot standing in front of him made him shake with anger.

"She didn't seem to care, to be honest." Harry replied, "I want to know, does she like you?"

"No." Draco paused. "I don't know. We're just friends."

"Friends," Harry spat. "Okay then." He walked off, following Ron.

By dinner, Ginny was starving. She was one of the first at the Gryffindor table, and she sat waiting eagerly for the food to appear on the tables. Finally, the food appeared. Ginny grabbed as much food as her plate could hold and tucked in.

"Honestly, Ginny, you eat as much as your brother." She looked up, Seamus was sitting across from her, Dean on his left.

"I skipped lunch!" Ginny protested, with a mouth full of food.

"Calm down Ginny, don't get too angry or you might curse us like you did to Parkinson!" Dean teased. Ginny laughed.

As she laughed, Draco entered the Great Hall, he was also very hungry. He looked over at the Gryffindor table, and frowned at the sight of Ginny cracking up with Dean and Seamus. It was a known fact Ginny used to date Dean. Draco took a seat at the end of the table, away from his usual crowd. He wasn't in the mood to talk loudly today. Instead he sat, thinking and eating.  As he finished the last of his food he heard the scraping of the bench opposite him. He looked up, Ginny was sitting there looking at him.

"What's up with you?" She asked.

"What?" Draco was confused.

"Why are you so quiet today? What's wrong?"

"Nothing." He said.

"Walk with me then?" Ginny smiled at him. Draco sighed and stood up, following Ginny out the door onto the Quidditch pitch. As they walked, Ginny kept glancing at Draco.

"You gonna tell me now?" She asked, eventually.

"There is nothing wrong, Ginny. I'm just tired." He said, slowly. "How come you didn't tell me Potter broke up with you?"

"It didn't come up. And what was I meant to say? 'Hey, here's a conversation starter, my boyfriend broke up with me today.' " she rolled her eyes. Personally, Draco thought that would have started a great conversation, and would have kept him happy for at least a day.

"Did he upset you?" Draco asked her.

"Not really. I mean, I do love him. But we have grown apart, we're not as close as we used to be."

"So even though you love him, you don't mind that he broke up with you?" Draco looked down. So Ginny still loved Potter.

"I do mind! I just think it's best we took a break, it's still possible we may get back together."

Draco flinched, did Ginny honestly not realise how much she was hurting him? He put his hand on her arm, then dropped it again.

"Do you love me?" He whispered, before he could stop himself. Suddenly he put his hand over his mouth, he didn't want to hear the answer to this question. He didn't want to hurt anymore, he backed away.

"Draco?" Ginny called after him, "Wait!"

Draco shook his head, "I have to go." He turned and ran back inside.

Ginny was so confused. Why did Draco back away? Why did he put his hand over his mouth? Why did that terrifying look of hurt return to his face? Why did he ask her that? What would her answer have been?

As she returned to the castle, she saw him sitting on the stairs, his face in his hands. She knew the answer to the question. She decided she wouldn't bother him completely, she could tell he wanted to be alone, but she would tell him one thing.

She knelt by him, "My answer is yes," she whispered, then she stood up and went back down the stairs, along the corridor and up the marble stairs into her common room. It was in there she fell asleep on a comfy armchair, next to Hermione. She didn't wake until Lunch. She woke with Fred and George sitting next to her.

"Morning," Ginny mumbled into a cushion.

"It's lunch, Ginny. C'mon, go get dressed and we'll go down together." Fred said. Ginny went up stairs, rubbing her eyes, and changed into fresh clothes. She tied her hair up into a loose ponytail, and went down to the Great Hall with Fred and George. She didn't eat much, it felt too much like breakfast to her. She looked over to the Slytherin table, Draco was not there.

Ginny spent the rest of the day with Ron, Fred and George. They got out there brooms and played a game of two on two Quidditch. Ginny and Fred won. Ginny was very cold by dinner, and was looking forward to some warm food. She wrapped her coat around her and sat down next to Ron. As she ate she watched the Slytherin table, hoping to find Draco in one of the bigger crowds. But she didn't. At the end of the meal she was worried. Although she hated him, she went up to Vincent Crabbe.

"Where is Draco?" She asked him, catiously. He looked at her with disgust.

"Hospital wing." He said, shortly. Then turned away and walked off with Goyle. Ginny stared after him, then made her way over to the Hospital wing.

She knocked on Madam Pomfrey's door.

"Madam Pomfrey? Is Draco Malfoy here?"

"Yes, dear. I really shouldn't allow any visitors at this time, but since he has been begging to be let out all day because he wanted to see you. Well, I think i'll allow it, just to shut him up." She winked, Madam Pomfrey had always been friendly to Ginny since her first year, when the incident with the chamber of secrets happened.

Ginny looked at the only occupied bed. Draco was sleeping. She pulled a chair next to him, tucked her legs up and looked at the book that had fallen open onto his bed. It was a classic wizard's book.  She picked it up and began to read. After about ten minutes, she put it down. Draco was staring at her.

"How long have you been awake?" Ginny asked him.

"A few minutes." He replied.

"Why are you in here?" She asked.

"Me and Goyle got into a fight last night. He had his wand on him, I didn't. I swear, if I had my wand on him he would be in this bloody bed right now, not me." He said angrily. "How did you know I was here?" 

"I noticed you weren't around at lunch and dinner. I asked Crabbe where you were." Ginny replied.

"Wow." Draco replied. He yawned. "Madam Pomfrey keeps giving me sleeping potion just to shut me up."

"Go to sleep, it's okay. When are you out?"

"Tomorrow. For sure." Draco smiled. "I'll insist."

"I'm glad. Now go to sleep." Ginny whispered.

"Ginny?" Draco said, struggling to stay awake.

"Yes?"

"I love you," he smiled, sleepily.

"I love you too," Ginny replied, she kissed him on the lips, and he closed his eyes and slept.