Chapter 5

It has almost been fourteen months since my last meeting with Charles Xavier. I was busy with work during those times; mostly discarded and rewriting drafts for my next cover story that I was planning. From those days, I had no time to think about him because I realized that he did not clearly matter to me and vice versa and I did not have anything to do with him at all. The last time we met, I was simply dropping Drew to a place where I knew, but quite doubted, he would belong. It would seem we would likely have a relationship back then as acquaintances but something simmered once I get back to my own place and start thinking rationally as I went back to my own life. I started to get back immediately when I realized how ashen my previous apartment was. Some of my furniture has been blanched to dust with fire caused by Drew. I was out of the extent from going back to my own lifestyle only to help the kid and I forgot what my aspirations were for a short while of being a great reporter. 

 From that point on, I haven't heard about Charles Xavier anywhere nor have seen him in the news. I remember thinking to myself that I will be indebted to him for saving my life a few years ago. To think it now, I already had my moment with him to be thankful for that day. We had talked and he remembered me and that was all I need to have my heart slow down and say that I already did my part and it was time for me to leave.

I stopped reporting in television for a while. I guess it is a blatant lie if I tell myself that I quit because I truly heard the formal tone from my former boss telling me that I am fired. The columns I write do not attract more people to read much less are interested in changing their channel to a local news reporter who only reports stats and repeated stories covered by bigger news channels, he said. Although I was quite taken aback from that statement and cause myself to be angry for a moment, I am happy that I get to be free from that place. It was quite unreasonable for them to fire me when I am only doing what they told me to do. Just write and report about things. The word things meant anything; just write. I can hear it from their desperate note that the news company is failing anyway for their amateurism or so I thought. 

They are right about one thing and that is I never wrote nor reported anything that really gave people a damn to help the world or at least a few people. In the end, I decided to quit reporting and practice my skills being a journalist to another local news channel which have the total opposite of handling news to the public than my previous firm. I make sure to keep facts as accurate as possible  and determined to make people listen. 

I moved to a better apartment in Bronx after my previous one in Manhattan. I got to say that if I am going to upstart my life into a suitable one, I need to have more appropriate things that will help me along in the long run. 

Now that I had myself sorted out, I only have one question: what will I write about?

I am sitting on a three-legged stool staring at my laptop sitting on the counter top for a long time. I see my bag beside it and focus on a paper that is peeking out. I suddenly feel myself falter and grab my purse to take out a brochure. Welcome to Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, it reads. I gaze at it for a moment and have a long thought about it. 

I need to head back to Manhattan.