I resisted the urge to shake my head, 'It moved with my leg, and I didn't feel any resistance whatsoever when I tripped him. Are you sure that was the shield?'

"Yes, and I am sure because I was controlling it. Your shield is very flexible and can form more than just a plain dome. Part of the shield anchored itself in the ground by your other foot, while the other part of the shield kept a small distance between itself and your leg. It didn't use your strength to trip the thief; the shield relied on its own power while matching your speed."

If I hadn't been in a public marketplace, I would have winced at the thought of how much that would have hurt the guy. My original plan would have tripped him and given both of us a nice bruise as a souvenir, but I had not counted on the shield taking things to a whole new level.

So much for my quiet evening... I continued through the marketplace as I examined what this planet had to offer, although I doubted that I would buy anything. I preferred to sightsee rather than spend money.

        An hour later, I was tired of the bustle and busyness of the city. I headed towards a larger street where the taxi shuttles could land. There were always some waiting just outside of the market areas, knowing that tourists would likely be willing to pay for a lift.

'Feel like checking if Ronan wants a ride back?'

"The message has been relayed. He is closing the distance between you two, so I assume he accepts the offer."

I neared the street before pausing and leaning against a wall while I waited for Ronan. It didn't take him long to appear, although it did not look like he was rushing as he moved smoothly through the crowd.

As he got within speaking distance, I commented, "I don't see any point in both of us paying for a taxi if you don't mind carpooling."

He responded, "Thanks. That also makes my job much easier since there is no guarantee that the driver is a normal driver and not someone hired for a kidnapping."

I rolled my eyes slightly. "What a way to put a damper on a relaxing evening."

I resumed my pace, and he walked beside me companionably. He commented, "It is true, and I am sure you know it. I never pegged you for a vigilante though. I am surprised you don't have a limp after an interception like that."

I murmured quietly, "I did not expect my shield to activate. Technically, I didn't even touch him."

'Starsong, out of curiosity, did you mention anything to him?'

"Negative. Other than to let him know he could catch a ride with you in the taxi, I have not spoken to him tonight. I have simply been observing."

I was pretty sure that Ronan's hidden communication device and earpiece both had some high-tech technology in them. I was also pretty sure that Starsong had hacked into every security or surveillance camera in my immediate area as he 'observed' us.

Ronan seemed a bit surprised by my words. He said, "I didn't see the shield, although I did see you trip him. I do hope that you won't try anything too dangerous though."

Perhaps it was a good thing he had no knowledge about some of my past stunts...

"I looked into a few of those. If it helps, no one ever made the connection to you in any case that I can find. With regards to the men who had run the child brothel, the group you sent the tip to did a very good job at hiding the bodies. The authorities never filed a missing person's report, nor did they ever find the bodies. Although, as much as I approve of restoring balance, I will ask that you refrain from using such methods, especially since you have different avenues at your disposal now."

I knew he was referring to some of my more extreme ploys, and not the fact that I had just tripped a thief. If Starsong hadn't been able to listen to my thoughts, chances were that no one would ever know about those handful of events. I sighed and rubbed my temple, wondering when life had gotten so complicated. Ronan raised an eyebrow inquiringly at the action.

I explained, "Starsong may not talk much to you yet, but I tend to get a fairly constant running commentary. He is apparently aware of a few of the... more interesting things I have done in the past and has added his own request for me to keep my personal actions restricted to minor things."

"Hmmm..." He let the conversation drop as the area around us got busier. As I had expected, several taxis were nearby with their drivers eagerly watching for a potential patron.

I waved idly at the closest one, and the driver opened up the doors for us to get in.

"Docking station, please."

"Certainly."