Chapter 4

I groaned as I raised my hand slowly to my head. I had a splitting headache. Simply calling it a migraine didn't cover it. It was, by far, the worst headache I had ever had. It's official, oxygen deprivation is worse than ten hangovers combined.

My arms and legs ached, aftereffects of the ordeal. I saw no point in sitting up at the moment, and I squinted into the bright corridor lighting from where I lay on the floor. Headaches and light really do not go well together...

The airlock doors were still closed, but the light on the access panel was green, showing that it would open the moment someone approached it. I tried to recollect my thoughts as my hazy mind spun lazily in circles. I never realized just how hard this floor is...

I groaned as I forced myself into a sitting position. My muscles protested, and I leaned against the wall as I got a bit light-headed. The light-headedness didn't reduce the headache though, which was a pity.

I dragged out my Analyzer and opened the system status page. I blinked in disbelief as I scrolled through the list of green lights showing that all of the systems were operational. Logan or one of the computer techs must have managed to reverse the upgrade after all.

The tickets had reclassified themselves as minor now that the systems were back up. I shook my head as I pressed a few buttons to see what was first on my plate. Work didn't stop due to a headache, especially considering that we had been in an emergency situation such a short time ago.

Now I know why most ships wait until they are at a port to do any upgrades... My Analyzer did most of my decision-making for me, and by the time it finished organizing the tasks, my headache had started to fade to something more manageable.

Mack had already been assigned to the air systems previously, and everything on my screen said they were working, so the machine skipped right over that one. We would have to visit each area to ensure that the status page was accurate before we could close the tickets.

Ironically, the agricultural area was first on my list due to their delicate plants and systems. With a deep breath, I staggered to my feet. I leaned against the wall as the world spun for a few moments before settling. My next Happy-Birthday-to-me present is going to be a mini portable oxygen tank that fits in my pocket...

I didn't quite manage a speed walk on my way back. Thankfully, the headache was rapidly abating, which was a welcome relief. I kept my eyes open for anyone else who may need help in the corridor, but the corridors were empty and I didn't see anyone.

The door to the agricultural area opened up as I approached it. Heads turned in my direction as I entered the room. Cynthia took one look at me and ran forward. "Rachel! Are you okay?!"

I wonder if that is her code word for 'you look like shit.' The Overseer headed in my direction while others watched in concern. I reassured them. "I am sure that I must have had worse days, but I really cannot remember them at the moment."

The Overseer gestured me towards a seat near the console. "Sit down before you fall over."

Perhaps it is a good thing that they didn't see me earlier. I felt much more recovered now than I had before. My legs weren't even shaking at this point, although a few minutes of rest would be welcome. I sat down a bit more heavily than I had intended, and I was pretty sure that they noticed it. I asked, "Is everything working?"

Cynthia sighed in relief as she realized that I was clearly in the land of the living. She replied, "One of the techs managed to get into a backup room and uninstalled the upgrade. Every area is back up and running now that the lockdown is off."