Chapter 9 - Caught?

Start from the beginning

He let go of me.

Part of me didn't want to let go and stay.

But like he said, time is gold! So we should get going at once!

We both got dressed at our applicable attire for today.

"Let's go?" He said.

"Wait... Yes, we shall go."

We checked out of the hotel and got another ride to Grahamstown.

Fortunately, our shall we call driver from the 1870s knew where to get to there.

He told us it would be a long travel and he would be asking for more payment.

George doubled the payment and so we went off the road..

After I think was thirty minutes, I checked my watch to check and I was correct. I went to see the view from the window.

Cause, be shocked.

I slept for thirty minutes.

It was a nice city.

I don't really know where we are right now and I really want to ask George but he's kinda busy with something...

"Whoa." I whispered.

It was a very simple city. Few buildings and many houses. People dressed differently compared to people wear in my generation.

I wanted to know more about South Africa..

Our history teacher didn't even taught us the history of this country.

She only taught us the language..

"Hey.."

"Yes, Karen. What do you want to ask?"

"Could you tell me the history of South Africa? Sorry for interrupting, I just wanted to know. I'm a little lost."

"Well. I guess I could tell you the things I know.."

I smiled.

"Then speak."

"So you see after the Dutch colonisation that started during the year 1652 and ended at 1815. People here are starting to apply and use Dutch as their language and all. Then in 1787 shortly after the French Revolution a faction within the politics of the Dutch Republic known as the Patriot party attempted to overthrow the regime of stadtholder  William V."

I nodded meaning to say that I'm getting what he's saying..

"Though the revolt was crushed, it was resurrected after the French invasion of the Netherlands in 1794-1795 which resulted in the stadtholder fleeing the country."

My mouth made an "O" shape.

"The Patriot revolutionaries then proclaimed the Batavian Republic, which was closely allied to revolutionary France. In response, the stadtholder, who had taken up residence in England, issued the Kew letters, ordering colonial governors to surrender to the British.

"Sooo where is South Africa in what you're saying?"

"I'll get to it, Karen. So back to what I'm saying the British then seized the Cape in 1795 to prevent it from falling into French hands."

"Oohhhh.. I get it now."

I told him to continue.

"The Cape was relinquished back to the Dutch in 1803. In 1805, the British inherited the Cape as a prize during the Napoleonic wars again seizing the Cape from the French controlled Kingdom of Holland, which had replaced the Batavian Republic."

"So you mean to say, that the British had interest in this Cape Colony? Fully South Africa?"

"Yes, Karen. Just like the Dutch they want to settle here in South Africa."

"Any more, my dear Georgie?"

"Sadly that's all I know about South Africa.. But this 19th century the British really wants to expand their ways and settle here in South Africa for more power and enlargement of their empire."

"Hmmm. I see."

"And, Karen. I'm sorry for giving you false information before. About their language."

"What false information."

"I actually told you that they speak Dutch and British English here. I forgot that the British wanted to outlaw the use of the Dutch language in 1806 with the view of converting the European settlers to the British language and culture.

"This had the effect of forcing more of the Dutch colonists to move away from British administrative reach. Much later, in 1820 the British authorities persuaded about 5,000 middle-class British immigrants (most of them "in trade") to leave Great Britain. Many of the settlers eventually settled in Port Elizabeth and to where we're heading to right now at Grahamstown."

"My, my! So, Grahamstown had alot of British settlers living in there?"

"Yes, Karen. That's right."

"It makes sense now. Grahamstown is where, Dr. Atherstone is and so are those 28 Eureka Diamond stones! Of course there would be alot of British settlers there!"

"Yes. But wait we're going at Grahamstown right?"

Oh he wasn't talking to me rather to the man that was "horse driving".

"No, sir we can't go to Grahamstown in this way there seems to be a very deep river ahead and the horse might not take it."

"So, my lad where do we go now?"

"To Hopetown, and we go south of the country to go to Grahamstown, sir. Hopetown is on the northern Cape Colony. While Grahamstown is located on the southern Cape Colony."

"Yes, I know but thanks for saying it anyway. Procede."

Then he turned to me.

"Karen, we'll go to Hopetown first. Hope that you won't mind at all."

"That was a joke? But anyways.. It's okay actually."

"Karen?"

"Yes? Georgie?"

"If you can't sleep while moving. Why did you fall asleep when we we're riding the train.."

Oh shit.

What explanation can I say?

It was actually a lie, I can sleep while moving.

I just wanted to lay my shoulder at George at that time. Okay?!

And at the horse ride. When I asked him to just check into the hotel, It wasn't because that I can't sleep while moving, I wanted to sleep beside him. But I didn't want to make it obvious that's why I told him to make a pillow wall.

Could you even blame me? He's so good-looking..

I'm so caught?