Just as I got to the opening I let out a screech as a hand appeared in between the handle bars on my Segway, immediately stopping me. I looked up to see Dyson smirking down at me.

“And it only took three minutes.” He said with a grin.

“How’d you do that?!” I shrieked. 

He shrugged and leaned in closer to me so that his lips brushed against my ear as he spoke. “That’s my secret, babe.”

I rolled my eyes and refused to let my face falter. “Fine, whatever.” I muttered. Yeah, Tyler. Brilliant.

“So. I’m waiting for that kiss.” He said with a confident smile.

I grinned. “Rain check.” I chirped, leaving my Segway and running back down the narrow hallway, erupting in giggles. I made a sharp turn out of the narrow hallway and quickly dodged a cellphone cover kiosk as I heard Dyson running after me.

“I’m faster than you!” He yelled confidently.

I chuckled. “In your dreams!” I yelled back, not slowing down. I’m captain of the varsity soccer team and I play softball. I can easily out run a stupid football player.

I stopped at the sports store and immediately had an idea. I hurried into the store that was already unlocked since it’s where we got the walky talkies. I hurried in and grabbed the first skateboard that I saw. Yeah, I can skateboard. I’m kind of a tom boy, if you haven’t noticed. Before I could exit the store, I heard him closing in. In a panic, I dove into the center of a circular rack of hunting jackets. I pulled the skateboard close to me so that it was hidden with me in the middle of all of the clothes.

“Tyler, I know you’re in here.” Dyson sang, coming into the store.

I cupped a hand over my mouth to stop myself from bursting into laughter as he walked by the rack. When he passed the rack and went further into the store, I planned my escape. I counted to three and jumped out of the rack when he was too far away to react. I leaped into the hallway and jumped onto the skateboard and glided down the hallway as fast as I could. And not to toot my own horn or anything… but I’m pretty fast.

“When you least expect it, Tyler.” He called behind me.

I turned around and flashed a grin and a wink his way. “Don’t count on it, babe.” I called, turning back around and speeding down the hall, quickly passing the locked stores. When I got to the food court, I stopped at the information desk and grabbed the phone, remembering that I forgot to call home before we went on a search for the Segways.

I hopped off of the skateboard and bounced into the office chair that Janice, the help clerk, usually sits in. She’s kind of old, but she’s super nice. I grabbed the phone and quickly dialed my best friend, Toni’s house phone number.

After a few rings, somebody answered. “Hello?” It wasn’t Toni, it was her older brother.

“Hey, Chris.” I chirped.

“Tyler?!” He gasped.

“Uh, hiya.” I said slowly.

“Dude, you’re all over the news. Well, you were until the power went out. Where the hell are you?” He asked.

I groaned. This is way too much attention. “It’s a long story. Is Toni there?” I asked.

He chuckled. “Yeah, sure.”

I waited a minute while he got Toni to the phone and I braced myself for the screaming.

“Oh my goodness, Tyler! Where the hell are you? Your mom is worried sick and so am I!”