Prologue

Knaya didn't know why she did it. One second, the two guards were chatting happily, and in the next she had run them through the hearts with arrows of light. And then she had burned a large hole in the grandiose, white door, and with steady, unwavering movements she skillfully undid it all.

     Thousands of years of study, unimaginable amounts of mana, a spell of nearly infinite power - they all unraveled under the touch of Knaya's careful fingertips. The biggest spells had the biggest weaknesses—one just had to know where to look.

     Knaya stepped back from the pedestal and admired her handiwork. The orb floating above the golden pillar was pure white—but as Knaya watched with anticipation, vines of darkness wormed their way into the orb, like ghostly, black centipedes. And suddenly, violently, the vines burst, and vile blackness consumed the orb. At the same time, the ground beneath her began to shake, and then she was surrounded by Angel Knights, clad in golden armor and flaming white swords brandished.

     Despite all this, Knaya chuckled. Finally. Her eyes greedily gazed at the blackened orb, a terrible blemish in this world of eternal perfection and light and righteousness. Knaya was so caught up in her ecstasy that, though it echoed loud and cruel in clear juxtaposition with the Heavens, she never realized that her chuckle had evolved into a laugh so vile it could have belonged only to a denizen of Hell.

     And she laughed through it all. As the Knights cuffed and chained her. As they interrogated and beat her. And as they tore off her wings, leaving a red mess on her back, as they revoked her brilliant ornate halo, bestowed upon only the most powerful, and threw her out of the skies.

     She laughed through it all, heart pounding wildly, feeling only exhilaration as she fell.

     Yes, she realized, tasting blood on her lips. This is much, more exciting.

     And as the angels watched her fall, they felt something they hadn't felt in a long time.

     Fear.

A/N: I realized I wanted to write a Prologue after I wrote the first chapter, so here it is!