But now, that was all about to change.

     Melora had Apparated outside of the house, and knocked politely on the door, as though she was nothing more than a harmless Muggle. She'd come alone. It was a guess of hers that it would be far better, and far more relieving, if she went ahead with this alone. So, standing on the doorstep, taking in deep, shaky breaths, Melora waited by the front door of this house as though there was nothing out of the ordinary with her visit.

     When the door handle turned downwards, she felt her heart leap into her throat. If she was quick, she could just about manage to Apparate away... she could change her mind, if she really wanted to...

     As the door swung backwards, and a woman moved forwards to greet her, Melora slowly looked up to meet her gaze. She was trying desperately not to cry, sniffing occasionally to try and distract herself from spilling tears, but as she eventually met eyes with the woman before her, she felt she couldn't keep it back anymore. A small smile broke out across her face, bringing colour to her cheeks.

     At first, the woman looked horrified, but then hesitation crossed her face, and she paused. It happened rather suddenly, but she then broke down into tears and wrapped Melora into a tight hug. They weren't even inside the house yet, yet both of the women were simply stood there in the front yard, hugging each other and crying.

     Melora smiled graciously as she cried into her true mother's shoulder. "Hi, Mum."

────── 〔✿〕──────

          "ACACIA WOOD, UNICORN tail hair, 10 ¾ inches..." the Minister for Magic said loudly at the beginning of the trial. "Am I correct in saying that this wand belongs to you, Miss Tonks?"

     She nodded. "Yes." 

     "And is it true that this was the wand that you used to perform the murders of three wizards, a Muggle, and many other counts of torture?" he pressed on.

     Melora nodded again. "Yes."

     "I am sure that you are aware of the illegality of said actions, Miss Tonks. You have performed Unforgivable Curses with this wand," he said, holding up her wand in his hand as though to brandish it to the others in the room. "It has therefore been decided that your wand shall now be snapped, and hence broken, before you, and you shall not perform magic again."

     Melora watched, almost heartbroken, as the Minister then placed his other hand on the end of her wand. She closed her eyes tightly, anticipating the dreaded snap.

     "Excuse me, Minister," another voice spoke out, just as the two ends of the wand were forcefully pulled downwards. The Minister paused, and turned to the owner of the voice, looking somewhat irritated that he had been disrupted.

     "Mr Weasley, this is not up for negotiation," the Minister responded quickly. "This wand was used illegally. Miss Tonks has not been sentenced to Azkaban due to the fact that she attempted to, and on some occasions did save, many people during the build up to and the event of the war. However, that does not cover up the fact that she performed parts of the Dark Arts multiple times."

     Melora had wanted to stay focused ahead of her, rather than paying attention to those who had attended the trial, either in support or in spite of her. However, she found herself flicking her gaze around to find Percy Weasley there. He'd worked for the Ministry before. And despite the fact she barely knew him, he seemed determined to fight for her.