Chapter 9

Amy was silent for a long while after I'd finished telling her everything from the day the letter came to what I was thinking the other day when I tried to kill myself. She just stood there, staring at me, a mixture of sympathy, horror, sorrow and surprise etched across her face. She had completely forgotten about Pig, who was now scratching at her legs begging her to pick her up so she could see what was going on.

"Please say something" I pleaded meekly. Amy blinked, she continued to look at me for a little while longer. "Please" I repeated, close to tears.

"I, I, I'm sorry I'm just, surprised I guess. How have you coped?" she exclaimed.

"I haven't" I admitted sadly taking a sudden interest in my chipped fingernails.

"Oh" was all Amy said. We sat like that for a little while longer, each of us lost in our own thoughts until finally Amy spoke up.

"So, um, do you wanna do something? Maybe clip Pig's nails or something like that?" she asked awkwardly, picking up Pig again. She gave her a big sloppery kiss on the cheek but Amy didn't seem to care.

"Oh, er, yeah sure" I muttered quickly. 

"Cool, do you have dog nail clippers?" Amy asked.

"Er, no I don't think so, but I have ordinary nail clippers?" I replied. Amy laughed.

"I highly doubt human nail clippers would do any good on these talons!" I smiled and started to laugh with her.

"I guess not"

"Pig's pedicure will need a lot more effort. We'll need to pull out the big guns!" Amy said brightly.

"Big guns?" I asked.

"I'll show you, you wanna come to my house? We can bring Pig" she offered. I just stared at her. Was she really inviting me over to her house? Like, as a friend? No one had asked me over in months, other than those few people I'd tricked into it by puttin gthem and their parents on the spot, but this is different. Amy actually wanted me to come to her house, she actually wanted to spend time with me.

"S-sure" I stuttered, not quite believing what was happening. Her face lit up.

"Cool! Come on, I don't live far from here, we can walk. Has Pig got a lead?" she asked happily.

"Oh um, yes I think she does. Um, just let me go look" I answered, getting up and looking in the cupboard where I remembered the lead used to be kept. Sure enough, there it was. I clipped it onto Pig's collar and looked up to see Amy laughing so hard she had to hold onto the doorknob to stop from falling over.

"What?" I asked defensively. "Don't you like pigeons?" Amy burst into laughter once again.

"I don't mind them, but when they have little speach marks comming from their mouth saying 'Don't let the pigeon walk the dog!' on a dog lead, well..." she burst into yet another burst of giggles. I laughed with her.

"I guess I see your point" I admitted.

"Come on, let's go" Amy said walking back out the front door with me close ini tow.

"Wow, you do live close!" I exclaimed as we rounded the corner to find her house only about a block away from mine.

"Yep!" she said happily "Come on!" she said pulling my and Pig up the driveway. Poor Pig wasn't used to this much physical activity, she was panting like crazy.

"Coming!" I replied laughing at her hurry.

Her house was nice. A small house, one that you could guarentee that no matter what room you were in your conversation wouldn't be safe unless there was no one else in the house. It had a nice rose garden out the front, the roses seemed to be planted in an organised chaos sort of way, there didn't appear to be any pattern with size or colour or anything. It still looked great. 

"So, this is my room" She said happily, tugging me and Pig into a surprisingly large room considering the size of the house. It was a nice room, clean, simple. There was a black wooden double bed with a really pretty blue patterned doona resting on top of it. Her furniture was in between old style and modern and was painted a nice white. She had a aqua/blue/green feature wall opposite her bed that went well with her bed doona. It was a really nice, calming, room. I would love to live here I thought to myself as I walked in with Pig.

"Wow" was all I said. Her face lit up.

"You like it?" she asked. I nodded approvingly. She did a sort of happy squeal and did a little jump. "You don't think the colour's too dark or light or just wrong? What about the carpet? I've still got to get that re-done! Argh the carpeter was supposed to show up yesterday but he had to do something else that day so he won't be here for another day or two"

"No, it's, it's perfect!" I assured her. She did another little squeal.

"Yay! I've been working on the design for two months now! Designed the bed myself, do you like it?" I looked at the bed. The bed head was made up of a black circular pattern, one word came to mind; bubly.

"Woah wait, you designed that?" I asked surprised.

"Yep, oh no, does it look ok? It isn't too over the top is it? Oh great not this again, I need to move this it's so offcentre and it totally blows of the ones behind it!" Amy exclaimed after knocking down a blue crystal ornament hanging from the ceiling next to a white and blue dream catcher. She put her hand up, about to move it when I broke in.

"No! Don't! I like it there, it's looks perfect. If it was any more centre," I shook my head. "No. It looks good there. And I love the bed" I added. 

"Really? Thank you so so so much! Interior designing is one of my hobbies, I love it! I wanna be an Interior Designer when I grow up! Along with a vet of course" I laughed, remembering her worry for Pig and her craziness about her room.

"Of course" I repeated, not knowing how I hadn't already worked it out. "So, are we going to clip Pig here's nails or not?" I asked.

"Oh yes! I had forgotten! Come on the clippers are in here somewhere"