chapter 2

' of queens and pawns '

━━━━━

Mizuki Kaede is a queen in this chessboard. She is violent, explosive, and powerful. She is a storm that takes and takes and takes, leaving nothing but tales of her wickedness. She spins deceit with beautiful eyes, visages worthy of portraits, and a tongue spilling honey coated words. A storm of hate, envy and discord. Of retribution to those who dare vex her. Those Niobes and Cassioepia who are but specks of dust to her glory.

"Impressive recovery, Kaede."

Darkness and with a wave of sensei's powers, the heroes are enveloped in doom. Best Jeanist, Mt. Lady, Tiger, Ragdoll. Almost wiped out in the blink of an eye. And Kaede shakes her head in distaste.

"You're making it too easy, sensei," she tells him. "Look, they survived. You say my recovery is impressive. I cannot say the same for that attack."

"I'm growing senile, dear," the man answers with a cordial smile on his face as he strides toward the fallen form of Best Jeanist, shoes making marks in the soil and Kaede watches, because this is sensei's time to shine and she's too weak to even move from her standing position.

She insisted. She insisted to watch this attack, because a part of her is trying to prove something. That those people from U.A. do not matter anymore and she will move forward just as easily. That even if a teacher, student or even Bakugou himself gets injured, she wouldn't blink an eye. She wouldn't care, because in the first place, why would she?

They dimmed the stars she worked so hard to brighten, jaded her brilliance. She must discard them, she will discard them. Unneeded feelings, sentiments.

This is proof.

Tomoe didn't come. Kaede didn't bother asking him why, because she wouldn't like his answer. Lying was unacceptable either so it was one of those things where silence was the best of options.

"Your quirk," Kaede hears the word tumble out of sensei's lips like an irrevocable verdict. The distant sound of the gavel pound against the wooden surface. "Doesn't suit Tomura's personality."

Kaede watches, smile capturing her lips at the anguish and pain carried in screams punctured with groans and the sound of tearing flesh. Yes, this is what made her happy. Halcyon days spent in soft light filtering through the canopy of trees and mellifluous laughter. That kind of happiness was a big fat sham. This was reality.

Fear wraps everything like a perfect wrapper complete with ribbons and a card. Her gaze is unnerving and it would have remained that way if you hadn't noticed the slight twitch of her lips, fists clenched beneath
worn out pants at the sudden appearance of Katsuki Bakugou.

"What the hell is this?!" the blond asks at the wake of the dark liquid used to deracinate him from the compromised bar to the destroyed factory.

"You're here," Kaede whispers, unclenches her fists and does her best to hold the placid facade she has plastered on her face. He probably won't notice her. With that cover on her mouth and the grey beanie and scarf to keep the cold. Bloodred eyes are the only thing visible.

"I'm sorry, Bakugou," All For One says and turns to the blond who's naturally confused by his appearance and the words escaping his lips. He was a peculiar, unnatural, gruesome sight that would have sent children cowering underneath their blankets. A compendium of the cliché things mothers tell their children at night to make them stay in check and believe in the hope that is heroes in glittering capes and masks.