chapter forty six

Start from the beginning

I frowned, fiddling with my ring. The movement caught Jordan's eye, but he said nothing. "What did they say about me? I didn't think anyone knew who I was." I asked. I had kept a low profile since the engagement, and even beforehand.

"Not much." Jordan shrugged. "That Luthor was engaged to a girl from Metropolis that he had saved from the rubble."

"Did they say how?" I was leaning forwards now, intrigued.

"That he bought you an island in the Caribbean and did it there."

I let out a laugh, and covered my mouth quickly. "No!" I protested. "He bought me a house up here, not an island."

Jordan arched an eyebrow. "A house? Just for you?"

"Um, no, for both of us."

"So it's not a ploy for investors, then. You really love him?" Jordan seemed skeptical.

I closed my eyes, unable to stop a smile from overcoming my face. "I really do. Why would the FBI care, anyways? I'm of age. It's legal."

"You're still technically a ward of the state. After everything you've been through, I just wanted to check up on you, make sure-"

"Make sure I wasn't being forced into it?" I parroted Lex's words, cutting Jordan off.  "I'm not."

"I can see that now. Luthor has done some questionable things in the past, that's all. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if something had happened to you, and I had been able to stop it." His gaze raked over me, and I shifted under it. "How have you been? Have the nightmares subsided?"

"Um, mostly. I still have them but they're not usually so bad anymore."

"I read your medical file, too, Ruth."

I tensed. I knew exactly what was coming. "And?" I challenged.

"I'm sorry you felt you had no option but to do that, Ruth." Jordan said softly. "I'm going to give you my card, okay? If you ever feel like that again, you give me a call. Any time at all." He pulled out a pale blue business card. I took it gingerly, tucking it into my pocket. I already knew I wouldn't use it.

"Thanks." I said anyways.

"And the memory loss? The panic attacks?" Jordan pressed. I was getting fidgety now. I was done answering his questions.

"Fine. Don't get them so much." I muttered..

"That's what Luthor said, too. I'm glad you're doing so well, Ruth. I truly am." He stood up. I could hear footsteps coming towards the door, and the low warble of Lex's voice. Jordan opened the door, and I got up, pulling on the hem of my shorts uncomfortably. Booth and Lex were in the doorframe. Both looked irritated with the other. "I'm done here." Jordan told his partner.

"Good." The bigger man grunted. "Then let's go. Ruth." he nodded at me. I smiled waveringly back.

Lex and I walked them to the front door, Lex's hand on my lower back. I was near to tears, from relief that he wasn't being arrested. The second the front door slammed, I twisted the lock and dissolved.

"Ruth!" Lex laughed, as I sat on the stairs and covered my face with my hands. "It's alright."

"I know!" I said. "That's why I'm crying! I thought it wouldn't be alright!" I was laughing through my tears.

Lex squatted and pulled my hands carefully from my face. "Darling girl. Everything will always be alright. I promise."

I scrunched up my face, and Lex pulled me to my feet. "I don't think that's quite true." I teased him. "I mean," I gestured at my whole body, scarred and bruised.

"Don't be difficult." Lex wrapped one arm around my waist, pulling me flush to his chest.

"Or what?" I asked breathlessly.

'Don't try and tease me, Ruth. It never ends well for you." Lex tucked a finger under my chin, so my head was tilting up and I was looking him in the eye. "What did you say to Jordan?"

"Not much." I hedged. "Why were they even here?"

Lex let out a deeply affected sigh, and a lump formed in my throat. He dropped his arms from around me and wiped a hand over his face. "There have been some accusations made against me by the reporter you saw on the roof of LexCorp. There have been investigations."

"You said no one would ever arrest you." I was confused and concerned. "Right?"

"Of course not." Lex reassured me. "But they had to make inquiries anyways. Worst comes to worst, we lay low for a while, let this mess blow over."

"Okay." I was still unsure. "Just don't do anything stupid, okay? I don't know what I'd do without you."

"When you're involved, no promises."

A/N: I'm so sorry this took so long!! thank you all for 8k
❣️ivory

.