•18|His Black Card

Start from the beginning

Asher glares at Gray, his face in a grimace, a huge vein on his forehead. "This guy!" he tries to stand but fortunately, Heath holds him down. "You are going to regret telling my father."

"Don't be mean." I step in. "You dared Gray and he only told the truth."

"You're defending him?" Asher asks.

"She's brainwashed by her stupid boyfriend," Heath murmurs.

Gray hand balls into a fist and he clears his throat loudly. I hate the fact that my brothers think it's okay to be rude to Gray just because they think he's not good enough for me.

"You're going to win the bet, Asher," Gray says.

"I am?" Asher cools down quickly, seeming a little taken back by the realization. Clearly he didn't even believe in his bet enough.

"He is?" My father asks and Gray nods. "How much is the win?" he ventures to Asher.

He is?

"Thirty grand. . ." Asher clears his throat. "Should I go through with it?" he asks my dad for permission then looks at Gray. "Well, should I?" he questions again.

"We'll talk about that later," my father says.

"Oh come on. Anyone would have guessed that. He's not a psychic," Heath states.

"Never said I was."

"Try it on dad," Didi suggests.

"No, no, no." I chuckle nervously.

"No, it's alright. I want to know what he's reading from my energy," dad says.

"Are you sure? Gray can be very blunt. He has no filter," I say.

"If he wants to continue hanging out with you, I suggest he watch his mouth. Go on." Dad nods.

"Okay." Gray clears his throat. A beat of silence stretches between my father and him. "Your dad was a football couch in Texas. Wasn't that much of a big deal but you worshipped him," Gray starts. "You were in the military. There's military in your posture sometimes. Other times you just look. . .fat."

Darlene and Didi burst into giggles and my mother tries to hold back from chortling loudly as she stares at my father's pale face.

"Oh my God, this boy," I whisper.

"You were very good in the military but your father died, you gained some weight and it was hard keep up with them so you came home."

"Impressive, I'll admit." my dad smiles.

"He likes you now so stop talking," I whisper to Gray but he's not quite done.

"That's when you met Mrs. Kaelin. She was beautiful, nice but very principled."

"Aw." my mother blushes.

"She got you to start eating healthy and exercise and she was the breath of fresh air you needed. But unfortunately, you had these five ungrateful, stubborn kids and you started depending on meat and beer to solve your emotional problems."

"Ungrateful?" Heath asks.

"You are completely right. And very honest." Dad chuckles.

"Ha!" I scream sarcastically as my father raises his bottle of beer to his lips to take a sip. Gray slowly drags his gaze to me and I clear my throat. "You are very honest, Gray." I force a smile.

"I don't appreciate the sarcasm, baby." he smiles back.

"That was very impressive Gray." my dad says.