"Don't take it personally."

“We meant no offence, excuse us both, please, miss.” Sherlock, of all people, bowed his head respectfully to the FeralHeart for a moment before raising it again; thankful to see her eyes a normal black, without the misty sheen of bright amber over them.

“Sorry about that, sometimes I have trouble of keeping a lid on the panther. If I go like that, don’t take it personally.” Renn chuckled, waving away Sherlock’s apology with a nonchalant hand. She really had no control over herself when the panther decided to make itself known. Her eyes would turn vivid amber and her pupils would narrow to small slits; she was always for violent in her panther form, so much so that sometimes it even scared her and this girl had faced the worst men in the world with her dangerous line of work.

“It’s getting late; we should all get some sleep.” John mumbled out after a particularly loud yawn into the crook of his arm. While Renn and Sherlock had been talking, he had settled himself against Sherlock’s side; his head nestled against the detective’s shoulder. Renn’s heart gave a small twitch of longing. The two men were so close, the only person she was close to was Julian and he didn’t even know she was in the country at the moment.

The pair hadn’t spoken in years, not since the incident which resulted in one of Renn’s closest friend being killed in a brutal attack. It was painful to think about but digging up the memories reminded her that she did have a heart after all; it was just encased in layers of bitterness and sarcasm. She would have loved to see Julian again but she wasn’t sure if she would be entirely welcomed by the Australian.

“Sleep sounds brilliant.” Renn nodded, after tugging herself away from old memories that left a bitter tang in her mouth. She moved herself over to the sofa, changing forms on her way, before leaping onto the worn cushions and curling up there; her tail tucked under her chin with a content sigh working its way from her muzzle. “G’night.” She mumbled, her eyes already starting to slip closed as the events of the day finally caught up to her.