01: Goodbyes

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

It's hot outside, the sand burning beneath their feat and the sun shining on their backs, so Raine and her friends decide to treat themselves to cold smoothies form their favorite beach bar, Sunset. There's eight of them in the crew, and they crowd around the small table at the back of Sunset with Jessie sitting on Will's lap and Lulu perched on Sam's. Mina and Joy are squished in next to the aquarium and Nic is is seated closest to her.

"I'll go order," Raine says once everyone's settled down, almost as if they're settling into a routine without her. She's hurt, and yet, happy at the same time. Hurt that she's leaving her best friends behind, but happy that they'll have each other. 

There'a cacophony of sounds as her friends tell her what they want, though Raine's pretty sure she has their smoothie orders memorized by heart, what with her eidetic memory and all. She marches to the bar counter, reciting her order in seconds without pausing, the words spilling out of her mouth in one breath.

"Have fun," Mina muses with a smirk and Raine rolls her eyes. 

"Mind repeating that? 'Cause, y'know, I didn't get all of that," the barista says, pushing his hair out of his eyes and flashing her a dazzling smile. She would've fallen for that, but she knew he remembered every word.

"Nice try, Jack," she replies, leaning across the counter, letting him see just enough of her cleavage.

"I was just testing that photographic memory of mine," he replies with a smug grin.

"Of course you were," she quips, rolling her eyes. He chuckles before turning to shout her order to one of the girls in charge of the blenders.

She peers at him through her curtain of golden hair. His chin-length hair, brown and curly is disheveled, stuck to his forehead from the water he had just been in. There's water on his face, and his almond-shaped brown eyes that usually hold a certain sparkle are dark with sadness. His skin is tanned from all the hours he spends on the beach and he's wearing a black muscle tank that clings to his toned upper body. He's wearing his swimming trunks with the black apron that has "Sunset Beach Bar" written on it in mint green. He's shouting orders at the other baristas, the water blistering on his skin. He's in his element and Raine couldn't look away.

"See something you like?" he asks flirtatiously, giving her another one of his dazzling beach boy smiles. He's got the whole Aussie-Chinese look going for him and Raine loves everything about it.

"Hmm, let me think... possibly my very sexy boyfriend, do you know 'im?" she quips with a flirty smile. "He's tall, has the whole "Aussie beach boy meets Chinese nerd" look going for him?"

He's out from behind the bar in seconds, his muscular arms scooping her up as she lets out a squeal. His wet lips find hers, and she melts in his arms, her own going around his neck.

"Jack! Jack, what are you doing?" she squeals breathlessly when he pulls away.

"You think I'm a nerd?" he asks - no, retorts - trying to sound irritated, but he doesn't succeed, causing her to laugh more.

"Aren't you?" she retorts, looking up at him innocently, lower lip hurting out into a pout.

"I like to think of myself as a "surfer god" he replies, meeting her sarcastic remarks and cynicism in kind.

"Oh, really? How humble of you," she snarks back.

"You are such a flirt!" he exclaims before he presses another sloppy kiss to her mouth, his hands tangling in her golden locks. She moans, and tangled her own fingers in his curls, locking her legs around his hips. By now, she's pretty sure the whole café is enjoying a good show. She pulls away then because somebody shouts for her - for their smoothie, really - and Jack lowers her gently on the ground, his arm wrapped around her waist ready to steady her.