i. The Beginning

i. The Beginning

××××

          Nothing in Riverdale has changed since Mom left Dad. It still had that eery feeling and stinch of deception and sin. Don't get me wrong everyone sins but Riverdale is a little different. Rather a lot. I never really realized how you could get a feeling from a city until Mom took me off with her. Most cities were welcoming and very homey compared to Riverdale.

          Such as the small town in Ohio. Country and very spaced but people kept their nose where it belonged. Well, mostly.

           I walked into the Whyte Wyrm instantly spotting Jug and Betty heads turned looking at the pool table. Two men played pool talking and drinking their drinks. I walked behind them and cleared my throat hoping I would be noticed but no one showed any attention to me. "Sweet Pea, shut up."

            "Man, she's your sister I just said she was cute." I took my bag off my back and slammed it in front of the white ball.

            "No need for any kind of grand entrance I'm just FP Jones' daughter and Jughead Jones' sister. No big deal. Just related to one of the legends." I said rolling my eyes. Jughead looked over at me and studied me for a minute. "Yeah I'm not Jellybean sorry." I said shrugging, "I thought Serpents were known for their inviting nature or would I have that confused with Northside?"

          "No, you don't have it confused. No one celebrates for people who aren't Serpents."

          "Looks like its-"

          "No. Don't we've talked about this."

          "Yeah and sorry to disappoint but you're not the boss of me."

          "Maddie Jones? Tell me how you been?" Jug rolled his eyes as Fangs draped his arm around my shoulders.

          "Hmm. You're still alive in this? I'm surprised Mama's Boy." I teased taking his arm off of me. Sweet Pea slapped his shoulder laughing.

          "We've all wondered that ourselves." He said walking by me.

          "I have actually made it along just fine," Fangs said grabbing the other pool stick from the bar.

          "Only because Serpents protect their own." I commented poking his arm.

          "Ya know you haven't changed at all. And you're a whole three years older."

           "Three years and you think my best friend would know I've always been this way."

            I walked up to FP's office opening the door without knocking. "I've told you more than- Maddie, where's your mom?"

             "Oh hi, I'm doing great thanks for asking. I see you are as well."

             "I'm sorry, thought maybe after talking to you last you wouldn't tell me anything about yourself."

             "You're probably right. She didn't come. Jellybean and her are still in that small town and I wasn't exactly enjoying it."

             "You have serpent blood. You're attracted to this," he said turning and taking the beer he had and drinking it.

              "No, I have Jones blood and Riverdale is my home... I'm just gonna get straight to the point. Mom and I didn't get along I need a place to stay. Jughead said you would have a place?"

               "Yeah you're room. You know where it is."

               "Oh what a joy." I smiled and walked out. Typical.

               "Jug, walk with me home?" He kissed Betty's cheek and walked her out as I followed behind. I stood by the door letting them have their time as I looked around the place. So much had changed since I had been gone. Jug has tried to catch me up on everything but I believe he has been just stressed with FP and the Serpents.

                "So, you and Betty Cooper now?" I asked as he walked over to me.

                "Yeah, been friends for awhile so," he continued. I could tell he felt uncomfortable. I was his sister, but I was also the disappointment of the famiy since I got in FP's face.

                  "Juggie, I'm sorry about the whole thing with me and Dad. I didn't really think."

                  "I know. I just think you should tell him that not me."

                  "I'm not sorry for what I said to him. I'm sorry for this being us. We used to be close."

                  "We used to be a family too Mads but you seem to have forgotten about that as soon as you left. Mom and Jellybean leaving hurt but you following them was worse for me, dad. You've always been his favorite." He said adjusting his hat in his head.

                   "Pop's?" I offered. He softly chuckled and nodded.

×××

                    "So you mean to tell me that all you've done is write a novel for the past three years?" He nodded taking a bite of his hamburger, "do I get to read it?"

                     "Only if you keep your opinions to yourself and let me feel you in on everything that's happened in Riverdale before you read it."

                     "No task is too hard for me," I smiled. That's when I saw her. Cheryl Blossom. Firey red hair, cherry red lips, and stunning as always, but even more bitchy.

                     She walked in letting the bell ring loud letting everyone know she had just entered. She caught my eye and smiled her fake smile and strolled over. "Oh look at you, Maddie Lynn Jones. Back at Riverside?"

                      "Yes," I faked smile. That's when I noticed there was no Jason Blossom standing beside her. The most attached twins weren't together.

                      "Well, enjoy it! I'll see you later," she said walking off.

                       "Was that weird or was I the only one that noticed Jason wasn't there?"

                       "Oh, long story."