Chapter 4

Maya's POV 

It was an ordinary Monday morning. I hate Mondays. I got dressed and said goodbye to my parents.

Then I headed to Riley's cause I still go over to pick her up for school every morning. I'm never hungry but Mrs. Matthews always makes me eat the oatmeal. This time was no different.

"Oatmeal, Maya," she said.

"Oh no thanks, Mrs. Matthews," I said trying to really convince her I didn't need it.

"I wasn't asking," she said firmly.

I sat down to eat. "How come you always make me eat when I come over here? I have a dad now and we can afford food," I argued.

"Because you didn't eat enough when you didn't have a dad and couldn't afford a lot of food, and now that you have a dad and can afford food you still don't eat enough."

I couldn't argue with that and began eating. Riley and I went to school. I kinda zoned out in all my classes. I went home and heard my mom and Shawn whispering to each other in another room. My blood immediately went cold. They must be breaking up. I knew it. Hope is for suckers.

I walked in and was relieved to find them smiling and laughing with each other.

"Take a seat, Maya," they both said.

I sat down and impatiently looked at them.

"We have something to tell you," Shawn said.

"I'm pregnant," said my mom. Both of them smiling widely.

"Oh my Gosh! I'm gonna be a big sister! This is great news!" I squealed, something I rarely do.

"And, Maya, when this baby is born, I'd like you and him to have the same last name," Shawn said.

"Wait! You just said him!" 

Both their eyes went wide.

"Shawn Patrick!" My mom hit his arm.

"I'm sorry," he shouted.

"So it is a boy?" I asked excitedly.

"Yes, you're getting a baby brother," mom said.

"Now that that secret is taken care of," Shawn joked as if it were intentional, "I wanted to give you something."

Shawn reached over and grabbed an envelope and handed it to me.

I carefully opened the large envelope to find a long packet of papers. I saw the title and couldn't believe my eyes.

"You want to adopt me?"

"I love you very much and I'm your dad so I wanted to make it official. I'm gonna become a dad twice in one year."

"I'm Maya Hunter."