homework!

at some point in this chapter, I'm going to recommend you start playing 'never be the same' by camila cabello. i really hope the timing works out. enjoy the chapter ;)

*

When Wendy got home, she cracked the window in her room first, then got a snack and started her homework.

She was splayed out on her bed, halfway through her algebra II homework. Her hair was pulled into a sloppy bun, a spare pencil stuck behind her ear. Her notes were open to her left and her snack, apple slices, bread, and cheese, was sitting on her right. She had one earbud in. She was listening to some k-pop girl group Angie had recommended. She looked serene save for her puckered lips and furrowed brow.

By the time she was done with algebra II, her elbows were sore from propping her up. She moved on, glancing at the window. What time was it? Was it time for Spider-Man to come around? Would he come around? What if he avoided her because of everything that was happening? She didn't want to think about that.

Finally, all she had left to do was her essay, tentatively titled Introducing Me. She cleaned up her snack and put away her folders. She was maybe sort of totally putting off writing the essay. She didn't want to write about herself. She didn't want to think about the things she'd been through.

She checked the time. Spider-Man usually came around by now. Was he mad at her? Was he mad at himself? She was nibbling away at the dead cells and lipstick on her bottom lip when he showed up at her window. She let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding in. Not everything was a complete disaster.

"Sorry I'm late," he said, limbo-ing into her room with a churro in each hand. "I thought I'd grab us a snack."

"Come on, sit," she beckoned, patting the spot right beside her. He plopped down, nearly knocking her laptop off the bed. He managed to stop its fall with his foot. She let herself laugh and relax. She was safe now. She was with her Peter Pan.

He passed her her churro and tugged his mask up over his mouth so he could eat. She froze for a moment. She could see his jaw, the milkiness of his skin, a tiny scar on his chin. She could see his lips. They were fairly thin. She couldn't stop looking at them. She'd felt them before, over his mask, but now his lips were out for the world to see. For her to see. He trusted her.

"I have kind of a weird question to ask," she blurted, scooting closer to him so their knees touched.

"Ask away, darling," he replied around a mouthful of his churro. She took a bite of her own - it was surprisingly warm.

She chewed, then swallowed, then looked directly into his eyes. "Did you write the poem Peter read at lunch today?" He smiled. She could see his smile. It was adorable.

"How could you tell?" he asked.

She shrugged. "Well, you said you could write it for me and I know Peter hates me as much as I hate him so there's no way in hell he could've written it." Spidey finished his churro but left his mouth uncovered. Her heartbeat quickened.

"Why do you two hate each other anyway?" he questioned, raising his hand to wipe a crumb from the corner of her lips. Wendy bit her lip. His mouth was so close to hers. Why was it so close? Why didn't she mind it being in such close proximity? She cleared her throat.

"Uh, well there was this talent show in 6th grade and I totally deserved the win and then Peter showed me up," she explained hastily. "Ever since then, I've come second to him. He like, deliberately gets into the stuff I'm into so he can beat me."

Spidey's jaw dropped slightly. "B-But he's such a nice guy."

"That's what he wants you to think," she said. "He wants you to think he's nice and innocent to lure you into a false sense of security so he can ruin your life. Like, for instance, in freshmen year, before we took the tests for the decathlon team, he came up to me and said I was definitely going to beat him out for a spot and then I was below him by a fraction of a point. A fraction!"