Don't Turn Around

I was a kid when this happened...My uncle and I were finishing up chopping/gathering firewood for my grandmother because it was getting dark. Driving back on a dirt road at about 30mph ( give or take 5mph ) I had this awful sense of being watched.

Before I could turn to look out my window ( Passenger side ) my uncle quickly shouted,

   " Don't!"

I completely froze. My heart felt like it was beating out of my chest then completely stopped when I heard a tap tap on my window. My uncle sped up and was loudly praying in my native language. I didn't know what was going on and thought it was over till out truck suddenly dipped from the bed.

My uncle started saying,

   " Look at me " and " Don't turn away " over and over.

Then I heard it again, tap tap but from the window behind me. It was getting harder for me to breathe and I wanted ti=o cry. A minute or two passed and the truck dipped again. My uncle looked around and sighed. It was quiet besides the truck and the road.

He looked at me and said, 

   " We will ask your father to do a prayer in the morning. So the evil will forget our faces. " ( Navajo to English equivalent ).

I remember curling up on the seat and just staring at the radio watching the time. Listening to my uncle sing an old prayer till we got to my grandmother's house.