Never be the same

(Yam~)

Shizuo was nervous but excited at the same time. You see the squad team he was on finally managed to get a lead on the Yakuza boss they've been after for a while. No, not a lead but a snitch. This guy only wanted protection for this valuable information and the police were happy to oblige. Of course, they were going to arrest him once they milked him for all the info he has because they couldn't just let a criminal walk free now could they? Especially not a man who is responsible for countless murders either directly or indirectly. It didn't matter because he will soon face the Japanese justice system. 

His partner, Tom, walked up to him and put his hand on his shoulder before giving it a firm squeeze. "You ready Shizuo?" Shizuo nodded and gulped which Tom replied with his best reassuring smile. "I know you're nervous Shizuo, trust me we all are but I need you to stay focused this is really important and I know that you're still new but the captain sees you as a valuable asset so try to stay on his good side." Shizuo straightened up his back and gave Tom a quick salute. "I won't let you down!" Tom laughed before putting on a bulletproof vest and handing one to Shizuo. "I know you won't." With that, the two headed out into their patrol car along with a few other highly trained officers as they headed to the location the snitch gave them.

Shizuo's body was shaking with adrenaline as they walked up to the warehouse building. It was going to be a simple job in and out. They were going to bust in, arrest all the perps and take them downtown. Of course, Shizuo knew it wasn't going to be that simple since they were dealing with the Yakuza and they were bound to be armed so he knew there was going to be a casualty or two on either side. But if they did this just right the body count wouldn't grow too high. With that thought in mind, Shizuo took a deep breath to calm himself before pulling out his gun and kicking open the door. 

Everything would soon turn into chaos as Shizuo's only focus would be on those piercing red eyes that he was oh so familiar with.

~

Izaya bowed respectfully to the slightly intimidating Yakuza boss when he first saw him but he was still all smiles and quite bubbly which perplexed and somewhat amused Shiki Haruya but of course, he wasn't going to let his amusement show. He was an intimidating man and showing any sign of weakness even if it seems minuscule was a big no-no.  But this informant shows some potential and maybe one day Shiki will take him under his wing but only after he's matured enough and learned the true horror of the underworld. He can see it in Izaya's eyes that he believed that this was all just fun and games. That he can jump in and out of the underground at a moments notice without any repercussions.

Shiki was once like that as well until soon enough any shred of innocents he had left was forcefully stripped away from him until he became the man he is today. He's made mistakes in his life and seeing this young man before him about to go down the same path as he himself well...Shiki wasn't going to stop him but he could guide him a little so that maybe unlike him he can still enjoy the beauties of the world and not have his body engulfed in tar, like him. Shiki calmly lit a cigarette as he eyed Izaya up and down before he spoke. "I heard quite a bit about you Orihara. Fresh off the streets yet you have so many connections. How is that?" "You'd be surprised of what people say in a bar when they think no one else is listening." "Oh?" "To put it simply, I like to observe people. I listen to what they say and if I deem it important I remember. Plus it's quite easy to learn about someone's life once you really put your mind to it."

Shiki nodded simply saying, "Interesting before he snuffed out his barely smoked cigarette. "Did you do that for a living?" "No. It was more of a hobby than anything. Something to entertain me as I went about my everyday life." 'He needs to learn how to lie.' Shiki thought, 'He's too honest and if I've learned anything is that if you give up too much information to someone you don't know enough about then that will be your downfall.' Shiki stood making Izaya quickly silence himself as he waited for the man to say or do something other than stare at him. 'It's almost creepy' Izaya thought quietly to himself while trying to hold back a chuckle. Shiki finally looked away and down at his watch before walking pass Izaya who simply followed.

It was a simple job really. They were going to retrieve some very valuable information from a Russian group where Izaya would be their translator. They would make the trade-off and go their separate ways. A piece of cake right? But Izaya knew one thing for certain that could make things turn sour and that was the ideology that, "Information is power" and that some will bloody their hands before they give up that power. But Izaya breathed in through his nose to calm his nerves as they made their way to the warehouse.

A bullet would graze his shoulder as he would be tugged to safety but his mind would only be focused on soft brown eyes which had a look of betrayal.

~

A shout that he barely heard called out his name before he felt his body being forcefully pushed to the floor and soon enough he became hyper-aware of everything around him and the only thing that he could get past his lips was a worried shout of, "Tom!" as his senpai lay bleeding on top of him from a severe bullet wound.

~

Izaya was guided back to Shiki's car where it sped off into the night leaving behind the sounds of gunshots and the fresh smell of blood. Izaya would lose some of his youthful innocence that day and he would become more guarded against anyone who came his way. The walls he would build around himself would be massive but somewhere on those walls would be a weak spot.

(Okay so I was heavily inspired by these amazing fanfics on Ao3 called  "House of the Rising Sun" and "You're the deepest ocean" which is a continuation of the first one by ShannynFaucheux. Anyway I wouldn't mind getting your feedback on this if you'd like and of course feel free to ask me questions and I'll happily answer when I have time)