and if you need space to breathe i leave it

"this is music theory, our first period, with mr. armstrong," awsten mumbled, blushing as geoff stared at him. geoff was hot, and he was looking at awsten. wow.

"hey, awsten!" mr. armstrong said, smiling widely at the boy. "how's the band with otto going?"

awsten lit up. "we still need another guitarist, but it's going nicely! we recorded a demo the other day."

"cool! you should send it to me. oh, sorry, who's this?"

"oh, uh, yeah," awsten said, blushing. "this is geoff, the new student."

"hey, geoff! i hope you like my class."

geoff snorted and awsten looked down. awsten felt bad that geoff seemed rude. mr. armstrong just laughed it off and said, "yea, that sounds about right!"

awsten lead geoff through the hallways, sneaking peeks at his face. his hair was really pretty, if onlt he could touch it.

"a-and, finally, this is band with mr. weekes, 6th period. your 7th period is across the hall, english, with mrs. lynz. what in-instrument do you play?"

"i play quints."

"c-cool. i pl-play clarinet."

geoff kinda looked at him, as if confused, but put on a fake smile and that was the end of the tour.

📼

first period rolled around, and awsten was excited. he really wanted to see otto--and more specifically, geoff. he needed to tell otto what happened. he was utterly infatuated with geoff.

"okay, so today we're going over the syllabus for like, 10 minutes, and the rest of the time is yours."

people cheered, and geoff snickered, staring at the back of awsten's head. he loosely paid attention until the exam exemption part came up and that was the end of that.

he tapped his pencil furiously, staring at the clock, when he overheard some very interesting things.

"i heard he's a massive cunt," a boy said, staring at geoff.

"well, i heard he has anger issues. i want to see him when he's angry--probably looks more stupid than he does now."

the boy laughed until he noticed geoff's eyes, sending daggers his way. geoff stood up and strided over, sitting next to the boys. the class slowly went silent.

"listen here, punks. i can take both of you at the same time. next time i hear you talking shit, your faces will be bruised and bloodied and your arms shattered. got it?"

mr. armstrong quietly chuckled.

"and you, don't fucking laugh. i could care less if i got expelled or went to jail, i'll beat the fuck out of you, too."

mr. armstrong shut up. the class was surprised that he didn't have a witty comeback.

awsten looked at otto. "hot."

"awsten, he's threatening people, that's terrifying--"

"hot."

otto sighed. he really hated awsten's taste in men--after pete wentz, he was very weary of the boys that awsten brought to his house.

"just--be safe."

"i'll try."

geoff looked over at the two boys, seeing awsten go bright red and look down. by this point, the class wasn't paying attention. he smiled and went over to them.

"hey, awsten. who's...this?"

"this is o-otto, h-he's my b-best friend."

geoff sent an angry smile at otto. otto scratched the back of his neck and preoccupied himself.

"is that the boy you're in a band with?"

"yeah! i-i mean, yeah."

"nice to meet you, otto."

"uh, yeah, nice to meet you too..."

📼

awsten went home that night with a number in his hand and a feeling in his chest.

his dad wasn't home at the time, so he could sit in the living room and watch pokeani. he smiled and turned it on. he entered the number into his phone and texted a 'hi, it's awsten from class.'

geoff 💌: hey, awsten.

awsten 🎤: how are you

💌: could be better. my mom is pissed at me.

🎤: im sorry;; if its ok to ask, why

💌: i got in trouble in 7th period. some asshole was being rude to me and i punched him in the gut.

🎤: yikes

💌: have you ever been in trouble?

🎤: im too quiet to be a troublemaker

💌: are you calling me a troublemaker?

🎤: no;; im sorry i didnt mean to make it seem like that

💌: good.

awsten heard the door unlock. he turned off the tv and ran into his room, a practice he had perfected after years of trying.

💌: hello?

🎤: sorry my dad came home

💌: is that good or bad?

🎤: bad

💌: i'll beat his ass. is he abusive?

🎤: kind of
one unsent message (🎤): he beats me daily

💌: you don't deserve that. i'll protect you.

🎤: theres no need to its ok

💌 is typing.
💌 is typing.

💌: i don't care. i'll make sure you're safe.

awsten smiled. he tried taking his medicine, but his phone started to blow up.

💌: awsten?
💌: hello?
💌: ugh okay, fine.
💌: text me back asap.

awsten sighed. he didn't understand why geoff took such a liking to him. he really enjoyed it, but it was just weird.

🎤: sorry i was taking my meds :/

💌: it's okay, i was just worried that he tried to hurt you.

🎤: he's too drunk to even remember i exist !

💌 is typing.
💌 is typing.

💌: i gtg.

awsten frowned and decided to try and sleep.

📼

geoff threw the bottle at the tree, drunkenly getting pissed at his boyfriend.

"you always come home with fuckin' hickeys, frank! is it that gerard guy?" geoff yelled.

"fuck yeah, it is. he fucks me better than you ever will."

"y-you know what? fuck you! im tired of this shit. don't ever contact me again."

"fine."

geoff broke down by the tree and started sobbing, beating his hand against the ground, cutting his hand open via the broken glass. he hissed and took off his hoodie, wrapping his hand in it. his mom looked at him from the kitchen.

fuck.